Scrapping Vista

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Phoenix, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I love provocative titles like that!

I finally caved and scrapped vista on my 4 year old Dell D610, its a pentium M 1.6 and did have a recent 2GB ram/120GB 7200RPM hard disk upgrade but lets be frank, its not really vista worthy (and I really wasn't willing to turn off all the vista features I like just to stick with it) so to coincide with the launch of Hardy Heron I wiped it and put Ubuntu on there, running a lot cooler now for starts!

The laptop has a pretty light workload in all fairness, web browser and movie playing mainly, but some memory leak in firefox caused the thing to eat up over 300mb of memory whenever there was a flash ad somewhere on a page, and hog CPU cycles, and as the thing barely managed to run vista to begin with you can understand the issue :)

So far the only issue I have had is installing 7z has only given me the CLI version and not a GUI version via the ubuntu package manager, might have to just apt-get the guified one or find the .deb file on the website
    Skype is running fine, Firefox 3 beta comes standard and I installed VLC pretty quickly (although it doesn't like playing direct from SMB sources, although if you start VLC and ADD the SMB source it works fine!)
    Aside from that, all the hotkeys seem to work (brightness, volume etc) which is ace for linux (atleast compared to my previous experiments on laptops) and the wireless works (although I cant get it conneted, probably me forgetting hte password ;)

I've always been a horses for courses kind of guy, and finally decided my old laptop just wasnt cut out for Vista, it's nice to have a linux system running in the house again (phased out my Gentoo file server 2 years ago, and my Openfiler system a year+ ago)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

did you install the Compiz config manager? it unlocks all the glory of compiz(Hardy doesn't have a custom button on the apperance tab :blink) once thats in you can get the cube,fire, rain, and water running

P.S i ditched vista home prem 3 days ago for buntu 8.04 and IMHO i dont think i will be going back to it

[Added]
    What about runing 7z in wine

sudo apt-get install wine

and then download the windows version and install it

or have a look here

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Rock on, Phoenix. Next time you're in the US, you'll probably be going to lunch with Freddy (he does live in Washington state, you know). :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Eggbert

Eggbert Bit Poster

If it weren't for 3DStudio Max rendering 4x faster on vista, I'd still be using XP.

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: Diablo II
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Welcome Phoenix!!!!!!!

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Fedora 9. :twisted:

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+