School reunions

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zebulebu, Apr 1, 2009.

?

School reunions - yay or nay?

1. Good idea?

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Bad idea?

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Couldn;t give a monkeys?

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

So - been invited to a school reunion (left 19 years ago) in a couple of months. Now, my problem with this is that - whilst there are a few people I wouldn't mind catching up with, most of them I not only couldn't give two ****s about, but would rather spend time in Abu Ghraib disguised as Sayid from Lost then spend any time with.

So - I'm debating about whether to go, and worried that it'll turn into Grosse Point Blank and involve me stabbing people in the neck with a pen.

Thoughts?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Depends how well you have done in life really, cos you know that it will work in a vicious circle. You may think that your doing great to some people who you hated then one of them pipes up with something etc.

Ive always thought it to be a bad idea, its one of the reasons why i hate going to weddings, because someones always getting anj extension or buying a porsche etc and all you can do is be jealous and think you ****er. Its a bit worse though when its someone who you knew from school, thats a blood boiler in my eyes. Fair enough if they earned it and was modest then good luck to them , but a lot of people are so insecure that they need to sjhout from the roof tops etc to make them feel better.

Just my thoughts, because i cant sleep lol

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Go to it.
    Keep your handy baseball bat with you aswell.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I was picked on rather mercilessly throughout most of my school years, with the exception of the last year or two (strangely, and perhaps shallowly, about the time I traded my thick glasses for contacts). Despite all that, I went to my 10 year and 20 year reunions, as well as another 20-year reunion for a school I transferred from halfway through the 10th grade... and had a great time each time.

Those I cared to talk to, I talked to... and those I didn't, I didn't. Those that bragged, bragged... so what? I couldn't care less to compete with them - I'm happy with life, regardless.

Additionally, I also made a few IT networking contacts... never know when you'll need to call in a favor.

Had a couple guys tell me they were sorry for picking on me - I told them it was no big deal. Sure, it sucked back then... but all is forgiven now.

Then there's the girl who, when she saw me, dropped her jaw and said I turned out gorgeous... who then asked her friend - who I had a major crush on in 8th grade - whether that was true, and her friend agreed. I humbly waved it off, while thinking to myself, "Why the heck didn't you girls even give me the time of day back then?!?" Still, it was good to hear. 8)

Go, Zeb. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

then you woke up? :P
    jk ;)

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Personally? I probably wouldn't go.

I was mostly the same as BM - mercilessly bullied throughout school until my last two years (sixth form). At this point, I dyed my hair blue and my acne started disappearing, and I suddenly wasn't this ghastly wretch from the corner of the room.

But the people that didn't like you then are probably only going to have a neutral and maybe negative opinion of you now - a bit like the opinion you seem to have of them.

Put it this way - it'll probably be like the "RL" version of Facebook. You'll add the people you want to add, and people you don't give a danny about will keep trying to talk to you until you delete your account, slap them across the chops and leave the reunion.

Well, that's my early morning opinion anyways... :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I was bullied badly at school, (strangely three of the Bullys went into politics) and didn't really start standing up for myself until I went to college.

For me I'd avoid reunions like the plague as I'm a completely different person and wouldn't want to meet anyone from my past in case I decided to even the score. Sometimes it's best to leave the past in the past.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  8. BosonMichael

No; actually, I was quite floored by the situation.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

A reunion I went to last year was awful, I only stayed for about half hour. As soon as I walked in, I said hello to a girl who used to be in my class and her first comment was 'Oh my God, you're like, grown up, and like, your voice is so deep' to which I reminded her I am nearly 30!

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Sounds like a threesome in the offering.

Im not really sure I would go personally. My friends in school were all a year or two below me, so wouldnt be at my reunion, and most of the people in my year were knobs.

Some of them I see around town from time to time, but I dont really want to spend time talking to them any more. I barely speak to most of the people I knew from Uni.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would go, I went to one a few years ago it was interestng to see how people had turned out and what direction their lives had taken. It was especially interesting to find out that the bloke who thought he knew everything was a bum because every employer he had saw through the **** he came out with.

I was bullied for the first two years of secondry school until the 3rd year and the worst bully in my year decided to pick on me. I snapped and broke his nose then knocked him out, after which he respected me for it and even though I have never grown since then I am still 5ft 5/6 he has so I wouldn't stand much of a chance against him but actually it wouldn't come to that since we are quite good friends now.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I went to a pretty tough comprehensive school, it makes me laugh when I see many of the supposedly 'cool' kids from school who used to be tough or all the girls liked, now signing on or working in crap jobs. I'd have nothing in common with any of them and to be fair I wouldn't want to see them.

To be honest with the exception of one person, I'm friends with everyone from school who I want to be friends with.

I'd avoid to be honest

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

School reunions = non-event. I have a hard time rewinding the clock. Hardly ever keep up with friends from the distant past, for some reason.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I have a school reunion every week as I still hang around with my mates from School (about 10 of us) and we are now 30. Apart from that there were a lot of people I didn't like at school but I'd like to think I could put most of that behind me now as I wasn't the easiest person to get on with due to me being off my box.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No.

I went to posh school and our reunions are black tie dinners in some posh club with a guest speaker who is some kind of retired rear-admiral.

The sort of people I was freinds with in school weren't the sort to attend that sort of event, so neither am I.

And I'm a big believer in leaving the past in the past and moving on.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  16. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Haven't kept in contact with anyone from Uni, let alone school, I wouldn't be bothered myself, lol

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  17. Andy L

Andy L Bit Poster

We had a primary school reunion organised for last weekend which fell through... it's likely to be rescheduled to sometime this month and I'm looking forward to it, there are a few people I'd really like to see again. My best mate from those days is still a good friend now.

Secondary school, however, is a different matter - it was a private school and I hated my time there, loathing everything it stood for. The vast majority of the people in our year were knobs but there are a few I still see every now and again or keep in touch with on Facebook.

18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I keep in touch with the peeps I want to know from school. The rest Im not too bothered about.

There are a few girls I wouldnt mind seeing again though, hee hee! :biggrin

I would go for a laugh, if its crap then leave and go to a pub for a few beers. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. BosonMichael

Except two of the three of us are married (and I don't think my wife is into fivesomes - that said, I haven't really thought to ask her). :blink:biggrin

20. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Facebook et al is a good enough school reunion for me. Staying on the Facebook theme I discovered that it's funny how when you check out the profiles of certain people you went to school with you really are not surprised at how their lives turned out.

It's rather odd/coincidental how the 'beautiful girls' you went to school with have since knocked out 2 kids, have an orange face and write in 'txt spk'. Same goes for a lot of the 'popular' kids.

I wasn't really bullied at school. Had a hard time of it now and then, who doesn't in their school days, but on the whole enjoyed my early years.

Not sure about a reunion. For starters I'm not travelling half way round the world to stand around a village hall giving fake smiles to everyone and repeating myself when someone says "so what do you do these days?" for the X time.

Sod that, I've better things to do with my life. If you were that good friends with someone from school you would still be in touch with them. Otherwise, what's the point?

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA