Scheidegger

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by lonestar, Apr 4, 2005.

1. lonestar

lonestar New Member

Hi,

I recently completed a web master design course with Scheidegger and I am now looking for a job - I must say with renewed confidence and hope. I am really surprised to see the postings here knocking Scheidegger. I found them really good and helpful right from the beginning when the course advisor visited me.

His visit was a pleasant experience. He was a nice and friendly man and certainly knew his stuff and helped me to decide what course to take on. I needed a loan to get on the course and he sorted that out for me without a problem. Once I'd signed up everything happened like he said.

They gave me a questionnaire to fill in when I'd finished and I just ticked "good" on every box! The content of the course was good, so was the service provided by my personal tutor. If I had a question they answered it quickly - and when I sent in my assignments for assessment the turn-round was good!

I'm looking for some kind of trainee job where I can gain further experience, so, if anybody out there is looking for a young and ambitious computer "expert" then you don't have to look any further.

And I mean this honestly, I wouldn't be able to say that without Scheidegger, so stop knocking them!!!!

Fahar

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, lonestar and welcome to CertForums. Glad you found the place. I'm pleased to hear that you had a good experience with your training provider. I'm sorry if you are disturbed by the opinions of others regarding that provider, however please remember that people sometimes have conflicting opinions on a variety of subjects. It is also possible that different people might have different experiences with the same provider.

While you are free to express your opinions on our forum within the member guidelines, you probably won't be able to stop other members from expressing opinions that differ from your own. I suppose that's the price we all pay for free speech.

I certainly hope that you have come to our forum with the intention of being a participating member. We would welcome your insights on web design and other issues beyond the current topic. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Well said Trip!!! Any chance you could run for US President? :)

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I hope I'm not that morally deficient. :tongue

5. drum_dude

LOL!! :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  6. tc27

tc27 Bit Poster

Scheidegger virtually promised me a job if I took a course with them.

Certifications: None....
    WIP: Seeing where my job takes me!
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It's hard to imagine how anyone can really "promise" you a job unless they are going to hire you themselves. For that matter, I'm not sure I'd like it that way. If someone promises you a job and uses some sort of influence to get it for you, it's not the same as if you got it because you were the best qualified candidate. Sure, we all need to start somewhere and would appreciate it if we were given a break, but when I get hired, I want to know it's because the company really wanted me...not because they had to take me.

JMHO. :)

8. tc27

tc27 Bit Poster

I was pretty much told that I would stroll into a 20k+ job at the end of the course and with their great contacts they could get me one with ease.

If only I would have happily parted with 3k.

Certifications: None....
    WIP: Seeing where my job takes me!
  9. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I agree with Trip here, no-one can promise you a job, unless they are going to hire you themselves. This is probably just a ploy by the salesman to get you to sign up, and therefore his commision. My advice to anyone that will be dealing with salesmen from trainning companies, take everything they say with regards to job and pay prospects with a very large pinch of salt. Many people seem to get upset because of these "promises" when they don't come true.

I trylly believe that this is just the salesmens, not the companies fault. One common misconception about techies is that we ae all loaded. Everyone I tell what I do, says "wow, you must be loaded!!". If only :rolleyes: Salemen just simply play on that fact.

There is money to be earned in this field, but like any other, you gotta pay your dues first. Lot's of people in my opinion are drawn to IT simply for the "money". Anyone that is reading this, and thinking of getting into IT just for the money, I say don't, your wasting your time and setting yourself up for dissapoinment.

Anyway, just IMHO, kinda turned into a ramble and a bit off topic, but I feel strongly about this subject, and they are connected. I always seem to be reading post similiar to this one.

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

The other interesting thing about finding a job in IT is that the industry is still slowly pulling itself out of the .com crash. Things are better now than they were a year or two ago, but there are still a fair amount of techs looking for a job and you are competing with them for at least some of the same jobs.

I don't know how it is in the UK, but I see ads for what looks like an entry-level tech position paying peanuts and stating that the requirements include an MCSE! It takes years to get your MCSE and by the time you get it, you usually have a lot more experience than your average entry-level tech. Yet there are probably people out there who have the certs and experience.

Of course, the "MCSE requirement" is likely someone's "wish list" rather than a true requirement, but the point is, that it is very unrealistic to assume you will finish a training course, with little or no experience and just step into a high paying job without paying your dues.

I agree with Punkboy...please take such promises with a grain of salt. Sure, they may that a job placement service that will try to help you get a job...but there is no way they can guarentee delivery.

11. strangeupquark

strangeupquark Bit Poster

Then again, if the salesman assures you of a £20k + job at the end of the course, which is bolldy unlikely, does thier statement qualify as mis-selling ? As has be stated in other threads, IT training is a massive money spinner for training providers, and if they are misleading their customers (however gullible/desperate), then they are getting into the position of willfully misleading prospective customers through false advertising.

WIP: A+
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Theres money to be had in IT? WTF WHERE????
    show me the money!!!

most folks i know in IT are rather poor actually, coz were all a bunch of geeks mind :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. drum_dude

I thought that too...but didn't want to say just incase Trip told me off! :)

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

:blink Yeah buddy, watch yourself!

LOL jk

:tongue

15. strangeupquark

LOL, I know what you mean mate. But I did say there was money in IT *Training*, not IT. :D

16. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Any chance that 20k a year job was going around IT forums posting favourable information about the training provider?

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  17. strangeupquark

Cynic. :D

18. ironside

ironside New Member

I understand everything that everybody is saying about the courses offered by Scheidegger - or indeed any of the private colleges you can go to learn about computers.

But you have to be realistic, the problem is not with Scheidegger or all the others, the problem is with the jobs that are available.

We're all into computers and the market is racing ahead. I'm glad I did my course and will keep applying for jobs on the strength of it, but I realise that I have to update my knowledge all the time. The only way I can do that is to take another course - and another after that. I'm one of those people too who will keep going until I get what I want and Scheidegger had helped me to do that.

19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Greetings, Ironside. If you would, pop up to the New Members Intro forum and tell us a bit about yourself and how you found us. Thanks. :)

20. Hello World

Hello World Nibble Poster

I cant help but get the feeling that theres one or two Scheissedigger (i never can spell that word :biggrin ) salesmen here...

Anyways, theres absolutely no point training for tons and tons of courses if you just wanna get into IT for the money as people have said, frankly its a pain of a job where one DOH *whack* = a lot of cash needed to replace stuff.

Training is good so you know what you are doing a little, but at the end of the day getting an MSCE before even getting an entry level job in the industry seems like a waste to me, experience seems to count more then qualifications in most industries ... A+ is just a certification saying you have an understanding equal to somone working 6 months in the industry isnt it?

WIP: CCNA 1, IT Essentials 1(A+)