scheidegger / skillstrain. HELP ! have i lost my money?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by evangelista, May 5, 2006.

1. evangelista

evangelista New Member

hi...ive signed up after having the salesman visit..received the leather briefcase thing with the 2 red folders and was told to wait for a card which i should then call back to find out my tutor and course information. Being so busy at work... I haven't been able to ring them to find out who my tutor is, and then I came across so many complaints and bad reviews... I really want to cancel but am afraid I have lost my money. They have already tried to take 2 months worth of course even though I haven't started doing it yet and i'm stuck ... is anyone in the same position and can anyone help? if so pls email at [email protected] many thanks

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Everyone has to find their own experiences.

If you are within your cancellation period, then you can cancel.

Otherwise, make the best of it.
    Just because other people have had problems, doesn't mean that you will. Just go ahead and see what happens.

Keep a diary and record your experiences. That way if they fail to deliver you will have a record of it.

Be positive until you have reason not to be... :D

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Always remember that people are generally more vocal when there is a complaint about a training provider.

If you want to cancel read the small print. If you cant then its time to get on with the studying and see how you get on. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Info I use on Customer Service training:

A happy customer will, on average, tell 4 others about their experience.

An unhappy customer will, on average, tell 10 others about their
    experience.

It ain't rocket science, but if only everyone was educated at primary school: caveat emptor [definition]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Welcome aboard. I can only echo what has already been said. People will quickly tell you about a bad pub, restaurant, car or tradesman but wont tell you about a good 'un...

What course have you signed up for anyhow?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Um... do I understand right that you've been signed up for two months and haven't even managed to phone them to find out who your tutor is? If this is the case, how are you ever going find the time to study?

Sorry to sound judgemental but it seems to me that like many people, you've been persuaded to sign up by a salesman without any real idea of the committment necessary to complete the course and now you are looking to blame everyone but yourself for rushing into it. As the others say, if you're outside your cancellation period you may as well make something of it. If you don't achieve anything out of this course then you will have wasted your money, but if you put in the time and effort it could change your life.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Baba makes a good point.
    Sounds like you might have signed up for something without thinking it through.
    Studying takes a lot of effort and time.

You still haven't mentioned what course you are doing or why.

8. hoss

hoss Bit Poster

hi i'm with skillstrain,i am doing my A+ at the moment,i have not had ay probs,so if i were you,ring the student helpline and give them your number,etc, and they might be able to help,or ring the admin number,i have found both really helpful.Good luck. :D

Certifications: c & g in refrigeration
    WIP: A+,N+,CCNN
  9. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

So you gave the salesman your deposit cheque when you signed up and in return he gave you the first part of the course and a copy of the credit agreement, yes? The agreement does say that you have a limited time in which to cancel the agreement and one of the letters in the pack says that your tutor details will be sent to you within 21 days. Have you actually recieved your tutor details and if not, have you rung Scheidegger to ask them? There number and address is in the leather file. Also, you say they've tried to take 2 months worth of money which I'm assuming means you signed up at least 3 months ago?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not some Scheidegger zealot although I am studying with them, but I think we need to know exactly what interaction there has been between you and them since you signed up.

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  10. Jody

Jody Bit Poster

Hi
    I cant help you with advice,but can give you my situation, so you dont feel like the only one been cheated by Skills Train.
    I can understand your position, my situation is a little different, I wasnt informed fully, and felt pressured to sign on the first visit.

It was done very well by the salesman, at the time and still to this day I am unemployed and looking to improve my chances to gain employment by getting qualified.The sales man said not to worry about being unemployed, it wasnt a problem,as my partner could pay the installments to Career Development Finance, and he informed us that the course payments would be covered by the Protection Plan if my partner may become unemployed.

All this talk made us feel secure that all would be fine and took the chance, Wrong thing to do!! He failed to inform us that you had to make three payments of £70 before the Protection plan comes into action.
    Now career Development Finance are going to take us to court for not being able to make payments,even though the salesman knew our insecure situation with employment, he has just caused more stress, and wish I had never invited that person into our home.
    I feel ive lost our £2500 to a company who dont give a dame,It makes you feel cheated,
    All I can suggest,is to contact your local CAB,to find out what to do.I still need to do this and will keep people informed on the outcomes

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Right, just to get this into perspective.

You go to a car dealer and buy a car.
    You take out a finance agreement that you can't afford.
    The car dealer won't try and stop you.

After 6 months you can't make the payments.
    What's going to happen?

The car dealer will let you bring back the car for a full refund?
    No.
    The finance company will say, 'oh, just pay what you can'?
    No.
    You will get a sh1tty letter from the finance comapny threatening legal action if you don't keep up your payments?
    Hmmm...

Come on guys, this is the real world that we are living in.
    Get with it!

12. Baba O'Riley

Harsh but fair Johnny.

I think you also need to addd "and completely fail to read the contract, just take the salesman's word for what you're signing up for."

13. Jody

Jody Bit Poster

fair enough comments and yours to think,but a company shouldnt be praying on people who are out of work in the first place,and give them the wrong information so they fall into deeper problems.

14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Did you not make the initial contact?

15. Jody

Jody Bit Poster

yes,it was an advert in the news papers,you had to visit their website and an advisor would visit you will details about the course you were interested in,but I wasnt thinking about joining that same evening until the salesman gave the impression it wasn't a risk to take

16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think that depends.

If you are unemployed and searching the vacancies pages, you are likely to spot the ad which tells you that you could be earning good money in IT.

Providing that the learning provider is ethical and the courseware is decent, I don't see why we should single it out.

Why should it be any different than 'want to be a driving instructor?','Train to be a plumber' or 'Fancy the SAS?'.

If you are unskilled and unemployed (or your skills have become redundant) then re-training is the sensible option.

Since I've been a member of this forum, I've never seen a case that has made me think - poor guy, he's been conned, they've just run off with his money.
    In each case it has been, 'I can't pay any more' or 'I haven't got time to study' or 'I've been on this for a year and now I can't cancel'.

Sorry, none of this is the training providers fault.
    There IS no global conspiracy of training providers.
    If you pay for something and then decide you don't want it any more, whose fault is that?

To be blunt - if you are the sort of person who finds the charms of a salesman hard to resist, then I can only suggest that you don't invite them into your homes.

17. Baba O'Riley

If a salesman explained all the risks involved to every potential punter, he would be a poor salesman indeed. It's his job to convince you to byt his product, not tell you that you'll have nothing but problems.

It's the same with the whole endowment mis-selling thing. I used to work for Legal and General who are one of the biggest financial companies in Britain. I had some sympathy for a few people you were genuninely duped by shady financial advisors but when someone is bewildered by me telling them they couldn't withdraw money from their pension at age 35 and they say (as someone would at least once a day) "I wasn't told this when I took out the policy!" all you can do is say, "Well you should have read the T&C's before signing your life away." I guess the same applies to you. Don't get me wrong, I am sorry for your plight, I know how bad money problems can be, but you need to take a bit of responsibilty for your current situation, neither you, or anyone else, is under an obligation to sign up for anything.

18. Jody

Jody Bit Poster

Everyone has a different back ground in terms of finance.
    This is what I said to the Skills Train Salesman Quote:

'I am unemployed and my partner works for the same company that i used to work for ,and worried that he may loose his job'

I would expect a Training provider to intrested in our welfare and advise not to apply until we were secure with money and employment,not to give false hopes that all payments would be covered by a protection plan if things went from bad to worse.

19. Baba O'Riley

Does it say on the contract you signed that you have to make three payments before you are protected? If yes, you are the maker of your own problems. If no, take it to you CAB and look into having the contract anulled.

Why? I wouldn't expect someone who works in Tesco to follow me around as I do my weekly shop and say "are you sure you can afford that sir? Why not go for the value brand?" so why should a training provider? Once you signed up, they've got you whether you can afford it or not so why should they care? If you are incapable of judging for yourself whether you are in position to sign up for it or not why should you expect them to?

20. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Must agree with this post. I think some people are under the impression if they hand over a few grand, sit back, then they will get that *dream* IT job along with a fat pay cheque. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs