scheidegger help please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by 808, Feb 12, 2005.

1. 808

808 Nibble Poster

hello

i enrolled on a scheidegger course about 5 months ago consisting of a+ n+.i was told by the salesman that the exam fees were included in the price but after reading this forum i am led to believe that this is false.i was also told that i have unlimited time to complete each course,i am now led to believe this is 14 months the course seems cheap and outdated
    i would like to cancel but i would like to hear from other people first(both good and bad opinions)before i commit to a solicitor.
    it is financed by some sort of career development loan that the salesman set up for me at the time.i was also told that you cannot take a cisco exam without first passing a+ and n+ is this true.

sorry to make my first post so negative but i am very concerned
    that i have been ripped off out of 3 and a half grand

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+,N+
  2. ladlee

ladlee Banned

stop the direct debit, if they take you to court say the course wasn't as advertised, you can't lose.
    remember scheidegger are a huge company so they might just sort u out without any court battles

3. jazziefox

jazziefox New Member

I feel like a complete idiot.

I'm sorry to make this my introductory post, but I really can not sleep right now, and this is why:

I started a Web Design course with Scheidegger around April time, last year, and have been happily (occassionally unhappily, and sometimes not really) working my way through their training ever since.
    Previously, I had taught myself HTML, and am fortunate enough to have a partner who builds PCs as a hobby. I like to help, and although not as knowledgable of hardware technology as he, I would like to think I know my way around a motherboard.
    I recently started on the third part of their course- Network Fundamentals (almost a year into it, I know, but family troubles, etc. plus I'm a terrible procrastinator!). Now, I set up our home network without any particular trouble or prior experience, but felt I needed a second brain to fully grasp the new terminology: Enter my Partner.
    Whilst I was reading him through my notes on the First chapter, he began to look more and more perplexed, and when I finally asked him what was wrong, he said "This doesn't make sense, Babes. You're nearly to the end of that file and haven't even mentioned XP."
    :eek: I hadn't even noticed...Turns out the training folder I was studying from is dated 2002.
    So, naturally he's bugging, and I'm freaking out, after having spent so much time and money already (loan is £2500, noticed there are different figures floating about), so he looks online for any feedback, and well, guess what he finds...

I just can't believe I have been so stupid.
    So many "little" things that I have let slide, or brushed off as "someone having a bad day"; Lost TMA's, no contact from my apparent tutor when I went through a three month period without submitting a thing, a multitude of errors in the manual, that I was correcting myself(!), a mistake in their damned Assignment Disc, and those are just what I remember. It took them a month to even send me this section of course material.

So much of what I was told when I signed up has just not happened, to the point where I don't even know how long I have to complete the course! (Is it 18 months like I was told? 12 like the website says? Or 14 if I'm believing the paperwork I have?)

In their defense, when I have spoken to people regarding query X they've been polite, and apologetic, but hardly to the degree befitting an investment of the magnitude I was duped into signing into...

All this said however, I will be calling them tomorrow regarding the outdated material they're providing, although I'm not sure if I'll be doing much studying.
    Something tells me that my time would be better spent with a solicitor...

Again, apologies that my first post has turned into this huge rant.
    Here's hoping some of you may be able to advise me either way: Soldier On, or quit whilst all is not completely lost?

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

We're here to listen too, jazziefox. I can't offer any direct assistance in this area but I thought I'd welcome you to CertForums. I hope we can provide assistance and support in your pursuit of a career in technology. Sorry to hear about your woes.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry to hear about your problems with your training providers folks. My advice is to try and contact them about providing updated material or getting a rep to come around again. Failing all the polite ways of doing things, maybe look in the contracts and advertising material for false claims/advertising. Then you could probably lean on them, slightly hinting that legal action could take place due to fraudulent advertising etc.

But don't burn your bridges just yet. Try all the polite ways first.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Sounds like schiedigger suck

7. peplogic

peplogic New Member

they do Ive been with them for 5 months now and its been all bad told a load of lies by the salesman the folders you get are out of date and full of errors all the mock exam is just as bad they give you four choices in one of the Q's and none of them are right then you put in your own and say why you did that they just tick it thats it!!!! so i realy dont think they know what there doing over there and it time for me and them to say good bye for good

Certifications: none yet!!!
    WIP: A+ Network+
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

*deep breath*

ok. I've only been with Scheidegger for 1 month. But I haven't had a bad experience (yet).

I'm doing the N+, then the CCNA and CCNP. My course material doesn't mention XP either - I emailed the tutors and asked them if I could complement the material with any extra reading. They said my course notes would suffice - but I'm still looking at purchasing a CISCO registered course study book. This way, if I have any doubts, I can double check without waiting two days for a tutor response.

I was told that my course will take 21 months, for all three courses, but that I could reasonably take 28 without incurring any extra charges.

The salesman didn't really give me any crap either, as halfway through the 'interview', I asked him about his working industry in sales, and how good he was at 'selling'. And straight away it was, 'yes, the course is 3,500, and yes it's expensive, but study it right, you'll pass'.

Technically, he's not wrong. If your only problem is with course material, websites/forums like this one are a good solution - there're knowledgeable people to help you out, without it costing any extra.

If they're really screwing you around, losing assignments, etc, then get the solicitors. But they're not treating absolutely everyone like shoe scum, just so you know ^.^

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. strangeupquark

strangeupquark Bit Poster

Complete and utter rubbish. I enrolled on the CCNA at my local further education collage in October 2003, without much prior IT knowlage (except what I'd learned hands-on). Personally I'd recommend having more experience with IT than I went in with, but having the A+ and N+ as pre-requisites is utter crap. Infact you could say its a LIE.

What!!!!! :eek:

You are doing both the CCNA and the CCNP without the official Cisco companion guides. WTF?????

I have three of the four official study guides for the CCNA sitting on my bookshelf right now. Without the official study guides to suppliment the online course you WILL miss some information. For the CCNA (£800 at my local collage) we got approx £100 worth of Cisco books - CCNA 1 & 2, CCNA 3 & 4, plus two books of labs). I personally have no idea how many books Cisco issue for the CCNP course, but I'd reckon on at least 4 - 6.

When I enrolled for the CCNA all course content was to be covered in approx 7 months (typical school year), and the CCNP in approx 14 months (2 typical school years).

IMHO you have been taken for a ride by people more interested in making money, than teaching you the required knowlage.

WIP: A+
  10. Arroryn

I haven't started the CCNA/CCNP yet - they send out the material when you hit the required point. I'm still on the Comptia N+.

11. strangeupquark

If I was you I'd enquire as to what additional material you will recieve when you do get that far. I'd also make sure that you get access to the Cisco Network Academy Program. The Academy Program has massive ammounts of online content (pretty much the same as the companion guides), but also includes online labs to test you knowlage as you read through the material.

I'd also recommend finding out if you will be given some sort of Cisco emulator software. Without access to either a Cisco router or emulation software, you will be unable to practice programming Cisco hardware.

12. Arroryn

Thanks for the heads up ^.^ Will be doing the Live Lab simulations when I get to that stage, but I will send an enquiry as to the academy program. :noob

13. 808

808 Nibble Poster

how do i get access to the Cisco Network Academy Program?

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+,N+
  14. strangeupquark

I got access to the Cisco Academy as part of my course with my local collage. The £800 enrolement got me two nights a week (18.30 - 21.00) in the network/computer lab, so that the students could get experience of connecting the routers/switches/hubs/bridges etc together. Plus the four Cisco study guides, and access to the Cisco Learning Academy Program. The Academy Program gives you access to nearly all the same info as is printed in the two study guides, along with online tests. If you dont get access to the Academy Program I honestly think you are gonna have major problems. I recomend you find out from your provider if you get this access, and if not, why not.

15. Street

Street New Member

I signed up with scheidegger a couple months back and have been doing the course with no problems. Today i decided to have a look on the net for reviews and all i see is bad things...

Ive seen they make you pay the exam fees, which i was told were included... is this true?

16. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome the CF, if you have time why not drop by the new members forum and post an introduction.

My advice would be to contact them yourselves and ask them in person. They are the only ones that can answer that for you. Good luck with the course.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  17. Street

Street New Member

yeh think im going to when i get home from work...

18. prosmart

prosmart New Member

I thought they were not registered with the DFES to provide training with CDL's. have you paid a monthly amount (finance) direct to them or do you start repaying a loan to a bank in abount two years time.

If you are paying monthly direct to Scheidegger, cancel the standing order.

19. Street

Street New Member

yeh im paying monthly to scheidegger...

didnt manage to phone them yet but am going to get to the bank and cancel the so this weekend...

20. tc27

tc27 Bit Poster

As I recall scheidegger get you to sign up with a affilated finance company (not a 'proper' CDL).

Certifications: None....
    WIP: Seeing where my job takes me!