Problem Scheduled Defrag on Domain

Discussion in 'Software' started by timebomb, Oct 11, 2012.

1. timebomb

timebomb New Member

Hey all,

I'm looking at implementing a scheduled defrag across a range of computers on a domain, setting up a scheduled task using defrag.exe seems to be the best way to organise this but I am having trouble making it work.

Here is the command I've been using, I find that the task is created but when I go to run it it does not actually take place. I'm sure I had it working before so there is probably some niggling error somewhere.

schtasks /create /tn "Defrag000" /sc monthly /mo 1 /d 1 /st 21:30:00 /s \\%computername% /u administrator /p SecurePW /ru system /tr "c:\windows\system32\defrag.exe c:\ -v >> c:\defrag\r_%computername%.log"

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this isn't working or can they suggest another option perhaps?

Thanks

Allan

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

What is the error code that the scheduled task is generating, if its not added to the scheduled tasks list you might get something if you pipe the command through to a text file so something like "full command >> c:\output.txt"

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. timebomb

timebomb New Member

After deconstructing it somewhat the scheduled task runs successfully if I remove the command to output to the log file. While its not essential it would be nice to have a log file available on the computer itself.

schtasks /create /tn "Defrag100" /sc monthly /mo 1 /d 1 /st 21:30:00 /ru system /tr "defrag.exe c:\"

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Silly question but have you looked at Raxco for defrag software? it's not too expensive and has all the reporting and management you would want.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

If the machines are windows 7 then they auto defrag at 3am (I think).
    You can probably change this with group policy if required

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  6. timebomb

timebomb New Member

We're looking for it to be free ideally, I'm aware Windows Server 2008 enables more around implementing defrag across the domain so a scheduled task will have to do until we move to 2008.

All machines are XP as well so we are quite limited!

I got it working anyway using the following command, it seems to be the outputting of the log file which was causing the problem:

schtasks /create /tn "DefragFO" /sc monthly /mo FIRST /d SUN /st 21:30:00 /ru system /tr "defrag.exe c:\"