SCCM and Branch Distribution Point

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I have a quick question... I setup our SCCM infrastructure over the last few months in our environment. I can do OSD and application deployment. Everything seems to work as it should, I've deployed SCCM client agents through GPO's and through the SCCM console, I've deployed applications such as adobe reader, flash, etc..

We have remote offices that I would like to integrate with my current main SCCM site. Obviously deploying applications and operating systems over a WAN can saturate the link so I want to setup some sort of repository on one of the servers in the remote offices and when I say deploy, I would just point the clients to the appropriate server. My question is, would I be able to do this with a Branch Distribution Point without the need of purchasing more licenses, etc... would this method work?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Yes, you don't need additional licensing for a BDP.

Depending on the amount of clients you have at your remote sites you can even deploy the BDP onto a workstation, the only thing to take into consideration with doing that is that you can only have a maximum of 10 clients attached to it at one time (and it needs to be constantly on).

Start looking at enabling BITS to transmit the data to the BDP as well (it trickle copies the data across the WAN link).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If that's the case where you can only have 10 clients on a BDP, the I would need something like a secondary site because we have some offices with 70 users. Would this require an additional license? I am assuming yes? Also if I create a secondary site, I wouldn't need a SQL server right? I would just have the DB stuff streamed over the WAN and use BITS for throttling?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Looks like if I setup the secondary site it won't require a license because it transfers all the data to the main site server...

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The 10 clients limit, is that something that is applied to the workstation OS? or is it a server restriction as well? I know that with a BDP you are limited to 10 concurrent connections on a workstation....

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Its the limitation on the workstation OS, sorry I should have phrased it better.

A server OS can handle multiple connections to it whereas the workstation OS can only handle 10 concurrent connections.

Stick with the BDP for the moment, if you need to go down the route of a secondary site later on you can.
    I can't answer to the licenses for a secondary SCCM site.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Just did some research, doesn't seem like a secondary or BDP sites require an extra license. If I were setting up a primary site with the SQL server, then I would need a license for SQL and SCCM.

Thanks for the help Simon.

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Just got my BDP up and running and everything looks good, I've created an Adobe Acrobat 9.3 package for deployment on the main site server and it replicated the data over to the BDP in my remote site. Needed to install BITS and SCCM Client and it worked like a charm.

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Are you creating two advertisements for your packages (an install and uninstall)?

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am going to have to once I start upgrading the software. Right now it's just a regular install advertisement scheduled to deploy as soon as possible because I am testing on workstations that don't have anything installed. My next test would be to do the uninstall then install of the new version of the app. I also want to create a PXE service point so that I can deploy images to PC's as well.