Scary! Words of wisdom?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Daniel, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Basically, the senior network administrator may be leaving, meaning the network would be in my hands.

Now, this is scary for two reason:

1. I'm not an MCSA
    2. It would be the WHOLE network

So, this is what makes it even more scary. Obviously with an MCSA I could administer the network, implement new stuff, maintain it and resolve problems but there is so much more going on!

We use legacy stuff, we also (like all networks) have patch panels, a phone system, telnet stuff.

It's very hard to explain how much broader the network is than just Microsoft operating systems (Win2k3 etc).

I dont know if you guys will grasp what I'm on about.

I think its because I know I wont have the safety net of my friend/manager.

This is probably a good thing? I'm excited/anxious about it all.

I feel chucked in the deep end.

I realise I'm making myself come across as totally incompetent and all that, but what do you guys think I should do?

Totally 100% go for it and embrace it or say that we need to get someone else in?

I've been with the network for a year and two months now and I know it well.

FYI, I'm one exam from my MCSA and not stupid :biggrin

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Realised I sound like I'm moaning about this :P Advice would help.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
    Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Mate

a few words of wisdom from me

All good techs, at some point, got thrown in the deep end
    you don't get to be a good tech playing it safe, you have to get hit in the face a few times :)
    My career is the epitome of cross training, direction changing and skill acquisition, as a network engineer I picked up data center design skills (from others), as a break fix server guy I learned to do patch panels, it builds over time, like anything, into the career I have had, and the role I now do, and I'm sure others can quantify a similar career history

Your gonna do great, an MCSA doesn't mean squat, its the skills that are required to actually earn it that do, and if your working with that, your sure gonna have them, if not now, pretty darn soon

Grab it by the horns and roll with it, thats what we do, We're IT

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Thanks Pheonix, that actually helped a lot! :biggrin

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This looks like a great opportunity to be honest.

Forget the MCSA for a minute, don’t think that by passing the last exam then suddenly everything will fall in to place. It doesn’t work that way.

You will know yourself which areas of the network you are not comfortable with. Ask the tech that is leaving for some documentation (if any) so you can get up to speed as soon as you can.

Also make sure you are ok with recovering data\servers if needed. I take it you have a plan if your DC goes on fire? Don’t freak out if you don’t, just add it to your “to do” list.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

We do have a plan in place and I know how to get everything back up and working.

That was my initial concern so I found out what our strategy is and how to implement it should something go terribly wrong.

Thanks aswell Sparky.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good news, sounds like you are ready to step up to the next level then. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

I knew I made a good decision when I signed up to this forum :biggrin

Thanks for your help Phoenix and Sparky.

And the rest of CF for the constant great community.

8. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

Ive been in a similar situation and the advice I received was simplistic yet helpful.

"Sooner or later you either have to crap or get off the seat"

Not sure if it helps you but made a lot of sense to me at the time.

J.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Excellent opportunity, I say get balls deep mate!

Seriously, the first thing to make sure of is your Backups & Disaster Recovery Plans are in place and work.

From that point forward you should be OK, as if you mess something up you can always put it back.

Good luck.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like a great opportunity. get yourself stuck in!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

As has been said, don't worry about the MCSA. There are plenty of network admins out there who have never even sniffed a MS exam - it's experience that counts.

Get any/all documentation you can; identify weak areas and discuss with the guy who's leaving (btw - does he think you're capable of doing his job ? - good for confidence boosting)

Also, perhaps try to shadow him as much as possible before he goes.

Finally - go for it ! You don't often get opportunities like this, especially in the current climate.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I know I'm a week late, but I thought I'd say that I absolutely agree with this. The MCSA doesn't automagically make you a good tech - only experience can do that.

That said, you should sbsolutely jump right into the deep end with both feet if the opportunity is being given to you. There's not ANYTHING that you can't handle with the help of Google and a little time. You can do it!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!