Resolved SBS2008 and CNAMES

Discussion in 'Software' started by westernkings, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It can depend on the Exchange design and what version of Outlook is being used.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I use no netbios names and I generally set the casarray name to be the same as external CAS access
    even when domain names are different internally I can set up an alternate zone and still use the same name for the internal and internal URL settings

netbios is dodo to me, i dont deploy it or support unless no other option is acceptable to the client :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

In the end I had to do a single A Record as in IIS they are all under the same website (whatever.domain.com) as extensions /owa /remote etc etc.

So in order to have separate websites for each ones it would have just been too much messing around.

However it works now. Thanks for all your help gents. Reppage all around.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Just quickly guys.

Am I likely to run into any problems with Outlook Anywhere if my server name is domain.local?

Externally it is exchange.domain.com/owa etc

Internally the server is server.domain.local? am I right in thinking it is a simple case of running the Certificate Wizard in the SBS Console?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As said you need the cert to have all names of the server.

mail.domain.com
    mail.domain.local
    autodiscover.domain.local
    ex01.domain.local
    ex01

To keep things simple it is best to get the cert from a third party certificate authority.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs