Resolved SBS2008 and CNAMES

Discussion in 'Software' started by westernkings, Mar 17, 2011.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I'm about to create 3 different CNAMES for the components of SBS (OWA, Outlook Anywhere and Remote Workplace)

Am I right in saying that all three CNAMES should point to the IP Address of the server (External obviously) and that I should set the External Host names of all three things to their corresponding CNAME? or is it not quite that simple.

Basically I want

mail.domain.com
    owa.domain.com
    remote.domain.com

Any suggestions from the megapros would be great :)

thanks guys.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

EDIT: Ignore this post sorry! :D

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

but wait - if he is using SBS there would only be one box - and there would only be one ip address.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

oops, i totally mis-read the OP's post - Sorry, ignore me!! :oops:

5. westernkings

Bingo. That's where my confusion sets it. I'm also concerned I could **** up Auto-discover by changing the host name.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

The names should point to the external IP address that is running the service e.g.

mail.domain.com 81.123.45.1
    owa.domain.com 81.123.45.2
    remote.domain.com 81.123.45.3

These could all point to the same external IP address 81.123.45.1 they just use a different URL to get to the same destination.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Can u set up a CNAME to point at the IP address at all? Looking at my DNS server I have to set up A record for the IP and all CNAMEs to point at FQDN.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Same here - I always thought CNAME's tend to be like an alias just to send it to another address - which would usually be a domain name, dont know if it works with ip's or not

I think that's why i mentioned using A records previously, but only from the domain to the ip - not an rdns lookup. I'm pretty sure you could set multiple A records to go to the same IP address without problem?

9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Yep. But then the thread would be about setting A records and not CNAMES :twisted:

10. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

alright, alright! :P :mrgreen:

11. westernkings

It was actually about both was I was unsure of the semantics of it bit couldn't be bothered to edit the title.

So, how will the SBS differentiate between which A Record is meant for which service? IE, how will it route mail.domain to Outlook Anywhere if they all go to the same Address?

12. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

It doesn't need to. Outlook Anywhere, Autodiscover, Active-Sync, ECP and WebApp are all services running off IIS. So given your domain name is domain.com as long as all Exchange related HTTPS traffic is routed to the server it's going to work as different services will be published on different websites (domain.com/Microsoft-Active-Sync, domain.com/owa, etc.)

Keep in mind you will need a SAN or a wildcard certificate for all those names for it to work.

When having multiple subdomains for HTTPS requests it's the host header that matters. IIS can read host header passed by a client and decide where to route the request.

To give you an example:
    Imagine IIS server hosting 100 websites. All off 1 IP address. They have different external names configured and different domain names pointing at the same IP address. Depending on which domain name you type in in the browser, different websites will display. IIS knows which domain you requested.

Not sure if the example is any helpful but IIS host headers is something you should be looking at to find out more. CAS servers are basically RPC/MAPI listeners for normal Outlook access and IIS webservers that do everything else.

edit: Just read it through again. If you're looking at sharing different services through different domains you might need to look up how to split Exchange services across multiple IIS applications/websites. So each website will have it's domain name (host header to read) and will host the service (Active-Sync, OWA, ECP, RPC over HTTPS)

13. westernkings

So just set up the A records for each pointing to the same address and then change the external host names in SBS console? and test.

Cheers mate :) Repped

14. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

You can either set up A records for all services or 1 A record for the server name and CNAMEs pointing at that A record. Either way it should work.

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Might be best to fire in 3 A records mate. CNAMES can sometimes cause problems (spoofed names etc.)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

FYI you shouldn't use a Wildcard Certificate as these can only be used external domain names only where as Exchange 2007/2010 needs to use internal names as well. MS recommend using a SAN certificate which would contain something like the following:

mail.domain.com
    mail.domain.local
    autodiscover.domain.local
    ex01.domain.local
    ex01

You need to ensure that you put in the following on the SAN:

External FQDN
    Internal FQDN
    NetBIOS

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  17. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Thanks! This is all true if your external domain name is different than your internal one. But I get your point. I don't agree on the NetBIOS name. It works well without it.

18. Sparky

:thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  19. Sparky

Actually it is needed. I've added the NetBIOS name on all Exchange 2007\2010 installs. 8)

20. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Weird. Mine works fine without it. I have FQDN on it but no NetBIOS. Haven't had any problems with it.