SBS issue(s)

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by The_Geek, Jul 8, 2006.

1. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Ok, I know this is a PEBKAC issue, and it's going to turn out to be something very simple that I've missed, but I'm already bald and have no hair to pull out.

I have a fresh install of SBS with 2 LAN cards, .200 goes out to the internet router and .201 goes back to the LAN. It's set up as a domain controller, DHCP and DNS are already set up. I've created my users and computer accounts in active directory users and computers.

Now, from this point on in Server 2003 STD, I have no problems adding computers to the domain, but for some reason I cannot add computers to the SBS domain.

The message I get is "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be found".

Now, on my Server2003std network, when I join a pc to the domain, I had to put a "1" after the server name. I've tried that with SBS and it's not working. I also don't know if it matters that it's a 2K machine I'm trying to join to my SBS domain. On the LAN card of the 2K machine I have the IP set to .202 with .201 as the gateway. I've also tried setting the gateway to the IP of my internet router and still no good.

Again, I know that is a PEBKAC problem, so please be gentle with me......the 'ol bones don't heal as fast as they used to, :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I would be checking how I set up DNS on the server and on the clients as that error looks DNS related to me.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

T_G, is this SBS Standard or Premium?

EDIT: I ask because it could be something in ISA's configuration that is causing the problem, but if its only standard version then that can be ruled out.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It does sound DNS related.

When you type ipconfig at the command line what do you get in the DNS suffix? It should be servername.domain.com or servername.domain.local.

As another test go to the run line and type \\servername\C$ and you should be prompted for authentication (this is because the PC isn’t on the domain yet) If that doesn’t work then try \\servers I.P address\C$, if you get prompted for authentication this time (and not previously) then it is almost certainly DNS related.

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Simon, I installed it about 6 months ago, turned it off, and hadn't turned it back on until a few days ago, so it could be either version.

However, I did find one issue that seems to have resolved my initial problem, but has now created a new one.

Honestly, when I installed SBS, I do not remember setting up a DHCP scope, so I do not know if there is one that is set up by default or not. The one that was set uo was a 192.168.0.x, and I always use 192.168.1.x. So I created a new scope and delted the old one. Now when I try to join the 2K machine to the domain, I get the user name and password box screen, but when I put in the admin ID and password, I get "the remote computer is not available".

Sparky, when I try either \\servername\C$ or \\servers I.P address\C$, I get "the network path was not found".

However, the 2K machine is using the SBS for DNS and as the default gateway and can access the internet ok (if that's helpful).

PS....IM's are on.

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : win2kpro
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : server2003sbs.local
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : server2003sbs.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-66-39-15
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.203
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.201
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.200

6. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

1) You have a DHCP scope set up, but, you are not using it
    States DHCP Disabled, above!
    2) You have the primary DNS setup to the Wan side of the of your server, change it to the Lan side
    3) Delete the Computer accounts from DNS, once you successfully add the computer to the domain, it will create the computer accounts for you.
    4) You said you used AD Users and groups to create the accounts, have you tryed using the SBS Wizard to create the accounts, then you can go back and edit things you want to be different then default (Just as a test)

Certifications: MCSE/NT4, MCP/2K3, MCP+I, CCNA, Net+, A+
  7. Sparky

When you install SBS it detects if there is another DHCP source available, if there is then you can’t create a scope when installing.

Following on from tomshawk I would create a DHCP scope in SBS and then delete the computer accounts in DNS. Do an ipconfig /release ipconfig/new on the Windows 2k client and then add the PC to the domain.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

T_G there is also a wizard in Server Manager that should be used to change the IP address of the server. If you do it manually, it messes up the DNS settings and other related issues occur because the new IP address does not proliferate to all settings unless you use the wizard.

If it is the Premium edition and it does have ISA installed then the NIC which goes to the Internet router should be on a different subnet to the LAN (say 10.x.x.x). RRAS and ISA take care of the routing of packets to the Internet. Note that by default ISA blocks all Internet traffic. You need to set up rules to allow traffic to pass through.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Then that would explain why that scope was created since I have DHCP enabled on my Linksys router for my laptop and wireless Xbox adaptor.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. We just got home from a cookout and I had about 12-too many beers. However, since I don't remember setting up (or even seeing) any rules to allow traffic to pass, ISA may not be installed.

10. Sparky

Hope the hangover isn’t too bad today! :sick

In regard to ISA you could install premium without it. There is an extra CD labelled ‘premium technologies’ with that particular edition. When you install ISA it basically checks to see if you have the premium edition before it installs. 8)