SBS email problems

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by AJ, Oct 6, 2006.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Now I know I should know this but it is really starting to cheese me off.

A little while ago I bought a domain. All I used it for was for email forwarding to my ISP.

Now I've decided to install SBS 2003 onto a server and use the domain name for email and prob a web page. I installed the server using all the default settings calling it server.domain.local

I allowed OWA and remote access so that I could access my email.

I contacted pipex who control the DNS for my domain name and asked them how I redirect the mail to my server not my ISP. There reply was remove the redirects and add an A record to their DNS "Mail" - "IP address" of my mail server (actually my router, but port 25 is redirected to the SBS server) and to remove their MX records and add "mail" their MX records.

I did all this and the mail don't happen. Can send but not recieve.
    So what's wrong here guys? Where have I gone wrong. At the moment I have reset it all (the DNS) back to what it was before so that I can still get mail.

Please feel free to ask for more details if I've missed anything.

Thanks for your help

AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sounds like a mis-config'd zonefile MX entry. What's the domain name m8 ? Can you (or are you willing to) provid a copy of the DNS records from your zonefile (probs from your online Control Panel) that you could paste here, even if edited just to show relevant A and MX records ?

EDIT: You'd also want to forward port 110 to the server from router, if I'm not mistaken, otherwise you ain't gonna receive anything

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Just to check...you should have the following setup within your domain name DNS records:

'A' record - mail.domain.co.uk pointing to your server IP
    'MX' record - domain.co.uk pointing to mail.domain.co.uk

If the above is your present set up and you are not receiving mail then it is a local issue rather than a domain DNS issue.

When adding/changing your SBS configuration, did you change it all manually or did you run through the Internet Connection wizard and add the new domain?

If you are going to send and receive with your SBS server then you will need to have both port 25 & 110 forwarding to your server from the router. Also remember to check any software firewall within SBS unless you have disabled it on install. If it is running then typically with SBS you need to run through the Internet Connection Wizard to change the config...this is due to alot of changes being made in the background!

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You only need to forward port 25 inbound to your SBS box to receive email. Also make sure your recipient policy on Exchange server is setup to accept from your registered domain.

In regards to DNS make sure the MX record points to to the public I.P of your router. As you mentioned there may be a ‘mail’ A record and this should point at your WAN port on your router.

Has the DNS replicated correctly when you tested last time? You might want to telnet on port 25 to check that the firewall is allowing inbound SMTP traffic. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Sparky

Not sure port 110 comes into this guys. The only reason to forward 110 to the SBS box is if you want to set up POP3 clients externally. :blink

Edit: also worth noting that the mail exchanger should have mail.yourdomain.com and that should resolve to the your 'real world' I.P address

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Good point well put :oops:

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I'll claim my bad on this for now :) I may have blurred the DNS / SBS pop connector setups.

Ignore me from here on in :biggrin

8. Sparky

LOL no probs. :biggrin

If the DNS has replicated correctly it may be an issue with port forwarding or the SBS box isn’t happy 8)

9. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

I'll be happy to bet its the box!!!

When configuring mine for the first time with my domain name to took an age to sort it....turned out to be just the SBS config. :twisted:

10. AJ

GManUK

a record reads "mail" pointing to routers address

mx record reads mail 5

Sparkey

Recipient policy doing the job nicely and ports forwarded as needed

Gav

Who's Gav

hehehe thanks guys - changes made just got to wait till the dns fully propogates

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sparky is the man - good post mate!

Another way to retrieve mail in SBS is to use the built in POP3 connecter. This utility can POP3 grab emails for any account you have set up from your ISP and suck them into Exchange. This is how I do it at home because firstly I can't be ar$ed with the DNS hassle and secondly I am not on a fixed IP.

As Sparky said.. You absolutely *must* set up the default recipient policy for any domain which is not your default AD domain in this case domain.local. If you don't do this Exchange will eat all the emails it recieves and they will not be recoverable (learnt this the hard way).

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Code:
    How I am searching:
    Searching for gav A record at b.root-servers.net [192.228.79.201]: Reports that no A records exist. [took 94 ms]

Answer:
    [B]No A records exist for gav, and gav does not exist.[/B] [Neg TTL=86400 seconds]

Details:
    b.root-servers.net (an authoritative nameserver for (root)) says that there are no A records for gav, and that the hostname gav does not exist.
    Goddamn - I don't exist !!! Told you Guys - you've read almost 10k posts from a fictitious character 8)

13. Sparky

Knowing Pipex it`ll take weeks for the DNS to replicate! :biggrin

Perhaps forward port 443 to the SBS and try typing https:\\mail.yourdomain.com\exchange from and external PC. This would at least test that the DNS is resolving correctly 8)

Failing that try a reboot :biggrin

Yes, Im out of ideas! :biggrin

14. AJ

15. Sparky

Once you think the DNS may have replicated I would check on this website http://www.dnsstuff.com/

I had a problem with a client not being able to recieve any email and it turned out that the MX records went into an 'endless loop' when trying to resolve to an I.P. I didnt get this error when checking from mx from nslookup but dnsstuff.com displayed the error. 8)

Ended up having to reset the MX records and a few hours later everything was ok.

16. AJ

IT'S WORKING

I followed all of your advice guys and also updated the firmware on my router. I lost all my settingsin the router during the process and had to do the passwords etc. The port forwarding had also gone, so I got the SBS box to sort all that out again.

Anyhoo thanks a lot for your help guys. I had been trying to get it to work for so long I had started to lose site of what I was trying to achieve.

Beers all round on me then :alc

17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Does that mean free beers at the brum bash? :wink:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  18. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Glad to be part of it!! :biggrin

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well done AJ!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)