Problem SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 migration, but there's a catch.

Discussion in 'Networks' started by RyanJ989, Sep 13, 2012.

1. RyanJ989

RyanJ989 New Member

Just registered and need some options/opinions.

I have an old SBS2003 standard server at my church with only two 250GB drives mirrored (RAID1). However, when it was first created, the primary partition (C:) was only to have 20GB, now, with all the updates/Service Packs, it only has about 1GB free. With only 2GB RAM, and only 1GB free space, I really don't feel comfortable trying to migrate to a new server using any technique. So, here's my idea.:

1. Break the mirror on the server.
    2. Make an image of the primary drive, leave both drives out just in case of catastrophic failure.
    3. Put the larger imaged drive into the server and restart (I know that the shadow copy will not work, found out the hard way).
    4. Boot up and follow the migration guide from Microsoft.

How does that all sound? Is it possible, or should I just break the mirror (fail safe in case I really screwed up!) and then run the migration?

Help!

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

First step: always make sure that you have a backup before you do any work.

After all 250GB by todays standard isn't very much :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. RyanJ989

RyanJ989 New Member

I agree. However, this machine was installed 6 years ago. So, 250GB back then, while not huge, was a decent amount. They aren't even using all the data side really. But with the primary partition being only 20GB, that is where the issue lies. I am doing incremental back ups nightly and complete full back ups weekly. I am also off-loading the back ups to another NAS, so I technically have 2 weeks of back ups, plus, I will have the mirrored drive since I plan on breaking the mirror before doing the crossover, just in case something does happen, I have a fully functional server still. So, I just wanted to have someone else look at my plan and say either "Yup, should work, Godspeed." or "Oh Holy Hell! Don't do it that way!" I just wanted to see what the general consensus was. So, anyone willing to give me their opinion?

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Ryan,
    Welcome to the forum.
    You could always re-size the partition using Aomei - i've used it loads of times for physical and virtual server re-sizing and it works a treat!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. RyanJ989

RyanJ989 New Member

Aomei huh? I was looking at the program, the Lite version I don't think will work since the drive is in 4 partitions, all used, and even if I removed one, I can't Merge adjacent partitions, merge non-contiguous unallocated space to partition . So unless I buy it, I can't use it for this purpose. But thank you for recommending it. It's going in my software list of "toolbox software"! Thanks for the info!

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I've used the free version (the linked one) to delete the next contiguous partition (after moving a load of stuff to a temporary location) then allowing me to expand the C partition. Not sure if that's possible in your situation, but worth downloading it and having a play with it.
    Let us know how you get on with it.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. RyanJ989

RyanJ989 New Member

I can't move the files around, but I will keep this program handy. I know other times that would work well. I think I am just going to use Acronis to image the disk to a larger one, and then hopefully install the larger in the server and then do the answer file for the SBS2003, and then install the new SBS2011 server with the answer file. I just don't want to try to do any more to the current server until I have some more free space on the primary partition.

Will let you know how it turned out!

8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This should work mate, image the server. Replace HDs then put the image back on and resize the parition. No need to break the original mirror.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. RyanJ989

RyanJ989 New Member

I was actually planning on breaking the mirror first, so then I can image the primary drive and just install the one drive and do the upgrade/change over. Since the server will no longer be in service in the next month or so, I was not worried about re-creating or keeping the mirror. I also wanted to break the mirror so the SATA controller knows its only one drive when I install the new one as well. I hope that make sense. I technically should have three "back-ups". First one is the secondary RAID 1 drive, second and third are the backups created by MS Backup. I plan on just changing the partition size when I use Acronis, it is just easier. Thanks for your response!

10. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There is a risk when you break the mirror though. I've seen this done before and after a reboot you get a 'ntldr is missing' type error message. You could image to an external drive, remove the old HDs and then replace with new drives. Then restore the image.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs