SBS 2003 Server, activation error, any ideas??

Discussion in 'SBS' started by TTaz69, Oct 29, 2007.

1. TTaz69

TTaz69 New Member

Firstly, may I say Hello to all, this is my first time on here, first impressions are very good, keep up the good work people.

Now to my problem.

I have a client who has SBS 2003 R2 server standard installed on a Dell machine, it was installed 6months ago roughly, all activated ok etc, has been working fine until last week, at the server when you press ctrl alt and delete to log on, it comes saying the following:

Windows Product Activation:
    This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can continue! You cannot log on until you activat, Do you want to activate now? Click ok to activate.
    Then:
    Activation Window:
    Windows is already activated, click ok to exit.
    Then it takes you back to the logon screen.

I have called Microsoft, who basically deny this problem exists even though multiple sites confirm this can happen after updates etc etc.

Any ideas or is it a complete re-install, I normally remote monitor the server to check things running etc, now the backup has failed due to USB errors, its an External HD via USB.

The client computers are all working fine, send and recieve emails, documents, printing etc etc, just the problem exists on the server.

Thanks in advance

Mark

2. popeye67

popeye67 Bit Poster

Try this link

http://kbalertz.com/932442/Error-me...ition-Windows-activated-Microsoft-before.aspx

helped me once

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I seem to remember this error coming up before. I think it was suggested that the AV suite was altering a file on scan that was responsible for activation.

I'll have a trawl through the bookmarks and see.

Oh, welcome aboard!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Seems interesting that it was 6 months ago. Are you sure it wasnt a 180 day trial version of the OS? After the 6 months are up, the servers start acting up (mine rebooted every 2 hours).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Great link, popeye67 - rep left!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. TTaz69

TTaz69 New Member

Hi mate, no it was'nt a Eval version, the software was OEM from a supplier with some hardware. HTH.

Will try the other solutions aswell.

Thanks
    Mark

7. TTaz69

TTaz69 New Member

Thanks to Popeye and Boyce aswell

Mark

8. TTaz69

TTaz69 New Member

Popeye, thanks for the link, howver it did not do the trick, same messages appear when you restart.

Mark

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Couple of things to try.

1) Start in directory services restore mode and see if you can log on
    2) Try a system state restore.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. TTaz69

TTaz69 New Member

Thanks Sparky, that let me use the activation and its sorted for now, lol.

Need to ask another question now for UPS, this can be closed thanks

Mark