SBS 08 First Server Experience

Discussion in 'SBS' started by techno, Jul 16, 2009.

1. techno

techno Bit Poster

Hello,
    As it says im doing my first install. this really is my first experience of using it. I have installed it just need to get it ready for conecting it to the busiess network. Please dont post get someone to help. Its just me and only me so im kind of after a guide. ideally a quick start guide or something along those lines. The main things i have to do is connect there pcs to it. configure shared storage and use it as the Internet gateway/firewall. any tips of guides?
    Thanks
    Chris

Certifications: MCTS X 4, MCITP Consumer Support
    WIP: 70-271, 70-272 im on a break
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc527559(WS.10).aspx

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I bought the 2003 version of this which helped no end on my first 2003 install (outside of VM).

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. techno

techno Bit Poster

First of all. I know there network like the back of my hand since i set it up!
    Second. Everyone starts somewhere ok im in the deep end but ive got a while to set it up.
    I was looking to get some kind of guide i could print out.
    Yes i know how to use google you sarky git, just thought i would try here because someone might of been in the same position.

6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Calm yourself down fella, Modey has been more than helpful to you.

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Which makes your lack of experience with servers any different how exactly?

Calling me names won't change the fact you couldn't find what is easy to find help. My mistake, the printed guide is the 4th link on the same google search.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  8. techno

techno Bit Poster

Ok, I'm having a bad day and i took it the wrong way. I apologise.
    I posted in a bit of a rush this morning did kind of think it was a bit of a retarded post. These things happen.
    Anyway no hard feelings dude.

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Fair play matey, I was probably too hard on you. People do tend to get a little miffed on here though if people haven't gone to the trouble of looking things up themselves before asking etc... It's good to build up contacts in the IT industry, but the primary skill is to be resourceful in the first place.

GL setting the server up. Also, it may be worth you trying to setup what you are going to attempt in a virtual environment before you try it on a live setup. It's extra work and time, but could be well worth it in the long run.

10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

11. techno

techno Bit Poster

Yh i can understand that. Thanks dude, sorry about this dude again.
    Thanks
    Chris

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There is no ISA server on SBS 2008 mate, so perhaps you would want to go for a different gateway device onto the tinternet. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well you probably wouldnt want to use ISA anyway. unless you really understand the product. I think it's great but if you are trying to blag your way through , you are going to have a big headache doing so.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

100% agree, ISA is a fairly complex product. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

I use SBS08 on a daily basis. If you have any specific queries feel free to PM me.
    J.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  16. techno

techno Bit Poster

Hi all,
    Thanks for your posts. Thanks jiggy you will probs be hearing from me.
    I'm quite lucky in a sence, because my boss does a bit of it and is quite logical.
    I'm not trying to blag my way through but there really not desperate for it and quite understanding so they know its our first server setup.

They way im going about it is following the microsoft site and will watch those videos. A book might be a good resource if anyone can recommend one.

http://www.packtpub.com/small-business-server-2008-installation-migration-configuration/book

So yeah ive got a long time to do it so thought i would connect it to the network and try and add one pc at a time. There a plastics company who run CAD and there machine currently loads CAD files of a NAS that we want to use as another backup device and have the CAD run of the shared docs of the server.

Thanks again everyone its such a nice feeling to have IT pros fingertips away and willing to assist.
    Thanks
    Chris