SBK

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by SimonV, Aug 9, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Well I thought i'd post that i've got a job interview this wednesday, its a job that was advertised in our local paper and is for Technical Support for a up and coming company called sbk (website http://www.sbk.co.uk/). The position from what I read in the advert is providing technical support for thier growing customer base from network/harware to software/enduser support. I got a letter this morning inviting me for interview at 1pm with the Managing Director so fingers crossed.

If anyone has any tips for the interview i'd be glad to take them onboard.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Well I have some kind of mind tips.

I just looked at their website SimonV and it looks very good.

I'd say lavish alot of praise on them, such as "Wow fifteen years I hear you've been going, that's a real accomplishment" or "Your a real forward looking company"

I know that can kind of sound corny but you don't have to use those of exact words.

If possible, find out how they started up.If it started as a small business, during the interview say something like:

"Was it hard to get established during the early days, you must have worked really hard."

Now that would work perfectly if the guy interviewing you was the guy who started the business because he'd love talking about it.

The main thing I always do in interviews is actually get the interviewer to do the talking as much as possible and also to lavish praise on the company.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I tried pulling up their site but the connection stalled. I tried pinging them got a message "connecting to home "btconnect" and an ip address, then the request timed out (must be down over the weekend for maintanance).

Interview tips. Hmmm. To take a piece of advice from the "genie" in the Disney movie: "Aladdin"..."Bee yourself". Actually, the real work comes before the interview. Do more research and find out all you can about them. This should give you the basis for what they're looking for in a "big picture" way...not just for one position at this time. Also, they should be a bit impressed if you went the extra mile to find out about them and integrate that knowledge in your answers.

Some common sense stuff: Be just about 5 or 10 minutes early. Be polite and friendly, not just to the interviewers, but to the receptionist and any other staff you might encounter. Be honest. I'm not implying that you're otherwise, but many folks in an interview, in an attempt to get a job, may tend to inflate their experiences and skill sets a bit. After the interview, ask for business cards and when you get home, promptly send off a nice e-mail to the head person thanking them for the opportunity to interview.

If (heaven forbid), you don't get the job, call or e-mail one of the interviewers, again thanking them for considering you for the job and asking if there was something you could have done to improve your interview and/or qualifications. Normally, you almost never get feedback because companies are afraid it will be used as the basis for being sued, but on occasion, you can elicit some comments that will prove helpful in future interviews.

If you can find anyone who is working for them or has worked for them...talk to them to try and get the inside track on the company and who might be interviewing you. You might not find anyone like this but, who knows?

Call up your local employment or labor board or agency (in the US, each state has an employment agency that tries to help folks get jobs....I don't know how it works in the UK). Often they'll have interviewning tips and sometimes even workshops on how to improve your job seeking methods.

Hope some of this helps, Si. Good luck on the interview.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

SimonV,

You know I am NOT the guy who can offer interview advice, but all the very best on Wednesday ! Be thinking of ya, mate !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Thanks guys, I've been going through the website and picking bits out about the company and on thing I found is that they retail a product called Netpilot. Its a web proxy ,mail server, firewall all in one box thing and in my previous job when I worked as a tutor they had the same equipment and I had to maintain and administer it. I also went on the Netpilot adminstrators training course in swindon about 2 years ago. I'll have to get that into the interview.

6. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Thats a result Si :) did you have that on your CV? if you did they've probably already picked up on it, if not then as you said shove it under their noses :D Good luck on Wednesday I don't think I can add any more to the advice trip gave earlier, besides I'm always amazed if I get asked back for a second interview :scratch so I'm the last person to give interview advice :tomato .

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

So interview over, I feel it went OK but it was only the 1st part of two, but I got invited back for the second part in two weeks time.

I arrived about 10 minutes before 1pm and the first part of the interview was to complete a questionnaire with questions relating to my strengths, attitude toward situations, qualifications, goals, and knowledge, that sort of thing.

Then it was into a room with a PC that had faults that I was to diagnose, that went well the problems were pretty easy. The first was the PC wouldn’t boot, so turned it on and got continuous beeps (RAM). Seated the RAM correctly and hey presto, it booted up. Second was no audio was coming from the PC when using an audio CD, had a look inside and the cable from the CD ROM to the MB for sound was disconnected. Thirdly the Volume level for the CD ROM was muted so bingo a fully working PC.

Next was an informal chat with the MD who explained the in's and out's of the company and what the job involved. All in all it only lasted around 45 minutes in total.

I'm a tiny bit disappointed as I'd geared myself up for a full-scale interview but that wasn’t the case, but hay I got through to the next part in two weeks time so see what happens then.

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Nice one SimonV.

I know it's dissapointing that it wasn't the full blown thing and you probably pshyched yourself up for but it's better to be that way that not being prepared.

Good luck in round two. :boxing

9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Thanks Flex, I was all ready for the big thing and knew eazctly what I wanted to say and ask but only got a 1/4 of the chances to do so. Like you say bring on round :peace

10. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Good result for you there Si

Round 2 is aure to be the interview that you were expecting and it gives you a little more time to prep yourself nw that you have a little more information about the company.

Good luck mate

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sounds like you made the "short list". The second interview is where they'll tighten the screws. Time to gear up.

12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Got the call this morning for the second interview. Tomorrow at 5pm

13. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

GOOD LUCK

The beer is on you if you get it.

14. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'm gunning for ya Si :gun

Blow them away mate :blowingup

15. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Best of luck fella, got my fingers crossed for you :cheers

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  16. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I'll not wish you luck Si, cause a man of you stature does'nt need it, It's in the bag mate :bluegrab

They will grab you with both hands

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  17. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Thanks Guys, Tricky one this with the decision. I've been thinking about this and I cant decide if they offer it if I should take it. Here’s the thing, at my current employment I have an easy ride. What I mean is no stress no hassle, I work with good people that appreciate my efforts and they paid for my course fees. SBK would be a step in the right direction of my career and would I think get me a lot more experience in the IT field but there would be a lot more expected of me during my working day.

The points that I'm thinking over are of course money, hours of work, amount of work and expectations. I have a job until Aug 2004 and that’s 100% as my current job is a funded project that has done the budget until that date in which it ceases. I guess I’m just asking you guys to try and put yourself in my shoes and tell me what you think.

I have plenty of spare time at the minute, enough to do my study and have a hobby at the same time (certforums). The SBK job will probably take that away from me but I may be compensated with a rise in wage and company car. Oh that brings me to ask if any of you have a company car as I've never had employment that includes one and wondered how much it bears on your tax?

Anyway, I guess it all boils down to wages in the end. If they can offer enough then I can’t pass. Its a small company an I don’t think they would shell out more that 15K and to me for the expectations that not enough, its more than I et now but I have the luxury of time and contentment.

I should start a diary forum with the look back at what I've just posted.

Si :confused3

18. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Well, I didn't relaise you full situation earler so here's what i think:

If they offer you it there and then just say that you'd like to think it over, or say you have to discuss it with your missis or something anyhow, just don't tell them right away.

Personally, I would stay in your current job because it sounds like your happy.I'm sure you'll know that there are many people with unhappy working conditions out there.

Of course you'll move on eventually but there's going to be other opportunities.I wouldn't rush into the big money (if it isn't much more) and company car if it's going to inhinge on your studies.
    It's not worth it yet!

I don't personally know much about comapany cars.however, the guy who I used to work with who had a company car always complained about the tax and how it was going up.I don't think there's a vast amount of difference between a private and company car.I may be wrong though.

Anyhow, just my thoughts. :scatter

19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

They say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You have a job you're happy at and have no worries about finding a new one until next summer.

On the other hand, you don't know what the employment situation will be next summer. It might be tough to find a position and, after all, you have to eat. Also you said:
    Don't shirk a job because you'll have to work harder. If you have to generate more effort, you'll probably learn more. Sometimes being too comfortable isn't the best way to achieve ever increasing goals. JMHO.

20. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Hi all, just got back and things went OK, as always I came out thinking "damn I forgot to ask" and "damn I should have said" but I'll have to hold on and see. I'm glad I went through with it and it gave me more of an insight into the job and the company. Thanks for the comment all and I'll keep you posted.

:juggle