Saving files

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Mar 25, 2015.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hey all.

Just wondering if you have come across this and if you have any solutions that could help our students out?

The issue is when a student opens an email in which they have sent themselves an email containing a file, in this instance a word document, they are just clicking the save icon. However because its coming in from an email, it only saves in a temp location so when they log off or close the document down they lose the work they have done. If they click the save as they are then able to realise that they need to save it to their shared area.

Now I have looked into this and came across something to do with ASD files, but when I tried this, there were no such files. I did find a few temp files but on opening these I just got gobbledygook etc.

So one thing I was thinking was to disable the save icon button in word and therefore force them to use the save as option only resulting in them not losing work, however this looks like I would have to mess about with VB code, which I am very very poor at. The other thing I was thinking of was a popup message if they did click the save button, to warn them they are saving to a temp file and that if they do this when they log off, they will lose their work etc??

Thanks

Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I'm not sure of any technical solution to prevent this. So do you mean they start editing the attachment (eg. Word doc) from within the email? I assume you are using Outlook at your school. If so, the files are saved in temporary folder something like OLK3484. The numbers are random I think.

The easiest way of retrieving of said files, is to open another attachment in another email message in Outlook and do a Save As which will take you back to the OLK folder. From there you can just copy/cut and paste the doc you are after to the desktop.

3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

What I was thinking, but surely the OP thought of this so may be something else.