Save the Internet

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Pete01, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4778507074363208869&q=death+of+internet

This is scary stuff. Big ISPs like AT&T are trying to privatize the web and make it more like cable TV. If they get their way they will be able to censor what we have access to and monopolise the Internet. An example would be:

They can block access or make it painfully slow to search using Google and force us to use alternative search engines that rank sites based on who pays them more.

They can block/make it painfully slow to use MP3 download sites like iTunes in favour of more expensive sites that they have a vested interest in..

They are trying to do it right now :eek:

http://www.savetheinternet.com/

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I once read an amusing article to the effect that the Internet was being run by an old man from his shed.

He had started it for a 'bit of fun' and was now thinking of turning it off as it was getting too much for him.

The government was preparing emergency procedures, such as installing extra letterboxes in case anyone had to send a message and putting policemen on street corners in case anyone had a question they wanted to ask.

It was funny at the time...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I put my blog up there as a supporting blog. Nice page rank 7 backlink there :p

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  4. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

JonnyMX, u read that 'article' in Viz mate :biggrin

And for a very disturbing/funny take on the whole net neutrality thing, take a look at http://www.wearetheweb.org/
    They got some 'web celebrities' to perform a song.... *shudder*

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

savetheinternet.com

Thanks for bringing that, Pete - interesting story. Makes you wonder what steps have been taken already by the big boys behind the scenes that we may not yet know about.

I posted the above excerpt from the Save the Internet sitespecifically because I am looking forward to hearing Freddy's take on this. I mean this seriously, btw, as it is at the moment a primarily US-affecting issue that points up all that Freddy abhors (if I may be so bold, Freddy !). I hope Freddy brings us a consumer's point of view, fully and frankly, as only he can :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps switching to Linux will save us all! :tongue

<runs away> :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes, it was my second favorite after the story of the guy who found a straight bit of timber in B&Q... :D

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD