SATA master, PATA slave, HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaggy, Aug 15, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

firstly i know SATA hard drives dont have a master and slave, but this is the drive with my XP install on

so, i bought the aboe mentioned SATA drive, put that in my PC on its own and installed XP, no problems, booted up fine

then went to add in a PATA drive which i want to use as a slave, set the jumpers to slave and plugged it in the primary slave IDE channel

tried to boot up and i get the invalid system disk error, so i thought ok i just need to tell the BIOS to boot from the SATA0 port instead of the IDE channel, but there is not option in the boot order sequence list to do this.

so i then tried remapping the SATA0 port to run as the Primary Master IDE channel, this allowed XP to boot but the PATA slave was not recognised, not even in the computer management screen

ive tried multiple combinations, setting the PATA drive to master, cable select etc, but i cant figure it out

there must be a way to do this, anyone?

cheers

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I didn't think you could mix 2 different types of hard disk on a system? I thought you had to use either SATA, IDE, or SCSI, for each drive because the disk controller on the motherboard can only use one at a time.

I could be wrong about this though!

You could add a SATA adapter to the PATA drive which should then allow both to be used at the same time.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

I wasnt sure if you could mix the 2 either, but from looking round google it appears its possible.

didnt really want to have to order an adaptor if possible, but guess i may have to if no one else can suggest a way to do it otherwise

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It is possible to have a mixture of Sata/E-IDE HDD's in your PC (I have it in my PC downstairs), there should be 2 options in your bios (in different places) to 1. to select the order of boot up devices and 2. to select the different HDD to boot up from.

You may have to update your bios.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

as wagnerk says, it is possible, I have two IDEs and one SATA in my machine and all work fine. But I am booting off one one of the IDEs. But SATAs do have master and slave boot options but I am guessing only within the BIOS as opposed to the back of the drives themselves (unless someone can correct me).

So as long as you know which one you want to boot from just check in your BIOS and you should be fine. :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I had a similar issue recently when I hosed my system in that After I installed the OS (which worked fine), rebooting produced the same error. On investigation, my USB drive was set with priority in the BIOS.

Theres an option to set the boot order (IE floppy, cd, hdd), but theres also another option that allows you to set the boot priority of your harddrives. Look for that and it should solve your problem.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

yeah i have found the option to re-arrange the HDD boot order, but it lists:

HDD0
    HDD1
    HDD2
    HDD3

ive tried all 4 in 1st and still no luck

8. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Ok so im now trying to update the BIOS, only problem is my motherboard doesnt seem to exist on the gigabyte site...or anywhere else

its a GA-8ISXT-FS rev1.0 if anyone has the updates for it let me know, cheers

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I had a setup like that before where my primary was sata and secondary was IDE.

I set it up so that the SATA hard drive is first boot device by specifying first boot devices is raid/scsi then second boot device is IDE HD. For the jumper on the PATA drive I set it to Cable Select. The OS was installed on the SATA drive.

That worked for me.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Do you have a non-RAID option in your BIOS? I got sort of the same set-up 3x SATA II and an old PATA on master but my system runs in non-RAID mode.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  11. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

theres no mention of anything to do with RAID in my BIOS

just tried what TheProf said but to no avail

i can get the PATA drive to register as the IDE primary master or slave

and i can get the SATA ports to have a 'X' next to one of them when the SATA drive is connected which i assume means it knows its there, i can also get the SATA displayed in the Primary IDE master or slave if i remap the SATA ports to the IDE ports

but not both drives at the same time, how bloody annoying haha

12. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

sorry just to be clear your PATA should always be master unless you have 2 PATA on the same IDE controller

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  13. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

yeah it is, i was just trying different configurations to see if anything else worked

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Some motherboards support it... others do not. A BIOS update might help... have you checked Gigabyte's site?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!