sata 2 hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robbydog, Nov 2, 2006.

1. robbydog

robbydog Bit Poster

iv just built a new pc and when installing windows it gets so far and crashes so what i have done is installed a ordinary hard drive and hey it works installed windows etc sata drive is listed in cmos as 3rd ide master but in my computer i only have a c drive im new to sata drives so i need some help please

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

is the terminator set in the right place (A+ Hardware revision coming into play *hopeing*)

3. robbydog

robbydog Bit Poster

terminator??

4. robbydog

robbydog Bit Poster

i cant seem to install raid drivers it keeps asking for B drive do i need to make a floppy for raid drivers

5. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

terminator??? I thought that only applied to SCSI

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

oh shi7, i thought he said scsi... :oops:

in that case i'll get outta here cuz i have no idea!

see ya!

7. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

You shouldnt need a floppy to install RAID drivers i wouldnt have thought.......

Cheek, wouldnt worry about it mate. But if your reading is as bad as your memory, youve shot it matey.... he he :biggrin

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Unless you have set the SATA controller in the BIOS to emulate IDE then you need a set of drivers. The motherboard CD will have these, and they need to be saved to a floppy (yes - really!).

During the installation windows will ask for 'extra drivers' (F6 IIRC) and you put the floppy in then.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

The master has spoken......... *bows down to harry* That guy is pure genius :biggrin

10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Is it possible that now you have windows on a normal ide drive you could install the sata device drivers from the mobo cd, then install the sata drive in with the ide one and see if it works?

Then if you only want the sata drive in th epc doa quick ghost from th eide to the sata, remove the ide and prey?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  11. robbydog

robbydog Bit Poster

so what do i set it for in cmos raid or ide

12. hbroomhall

I take it with just one drive you don't want RAID.

In the BIOS switch off all RAID entries.

*If* there is an option for the SATA controller to be set to emulate IDE select that, and install. Otherwise check the Motherboard CD for the driver set and make the floppy (on another machine of course).

Harry.

13. robbydog

robbydog Bit Poster

ok got windows to load but now when i try to install ant drivers
    get blue screen windows has detected a problem and has stopped to prevent damage

14. robbydog

robbydog Bit Poster

i think it may be to do with my dvd rom

15. robbydog

robbydog Bit Poster

AND I GET THESE EROR CODES
    0F4
    898E5B90
    898E5D04
    805C749A
    IF ANYONE CAN HELP I WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL

16. hbroomhall

It isn't clear exactly what you did. You say you got windows to load before you put drivers in. Was this a complete install? If so you don't need the special drivers, as the SATA IDE emulation obviously worked. All you need to do is install the Motherboard driver set.

So where did the drivers you mentioned come from?

Harry.

17. robbydog

robbydog Bit Poster

MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS AND GRAPHICS CARD DRIVERS ITS LIKE THE CDROM LOCKS UP THEN I GET THE BLUE SCREEN WHICH SAYS ITS STOPPED BECAUSE OF DAMAGE TO PC

18. robbydog

robbydog Bit Poster

SOMEBODY ON ASUS FORUMS REPLIED TO SOMEONE ELSE WITH SIMILAR PROBLEM THAT SOUTHBRIDGE CHIP CANTCOPE WITH SATA 11 300 AND THERE IS NO BIOS UPDATE TO FIX SO HE JUMPERED HIS HDD TO 150 HOW DO I DO THIS

19. hbroomhall

It would help if you didn't 'shout'. i.e. - don't post in caps.

I would think it unlikely that this would be a 'fix', as the drives/controllers are auto-config for this.

However, there *may* be a BIOS entry to do this, but we would need to know the model of the board and the make and model of the drive to be able to say for certain.

Harry.

20. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Sounds to me like you have a duff motherboard fella...... A mate of mine had exactly the same problem, Among problem solving last to be checked was the motherboard, and va va voom after a new one was used. Sweet as candy!!

Im guessing this screen gives you the option to continue anyway??? when trying to install certain files???