Sampling = A whole new world of procrastination?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Jul 2, 2009.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Are there any other musicians on these hallowed forums? After a LONNNNNNNG hiatus, I've decided to get back in to music production again. Albeit the gear I have here is significantly rubbishererer (sic) than what I have back home in the lockup.

I'm fiddling with sampling and drum programming again and really enjoying making some furiously vicious breakcore, bleeps and general squelchy fun. I've got a few projects on the burner, it's purely a hobby though of course.

Messing around in this way keeps up my knowledge and helps develop new techniques.

However....

I have to say I forgot just how addictive sampling is! The past couple of days my head has been wrecked listening for "good samples" to take from classics by Billy Ocean and Curiosity Killed The Cat to name but a few.

It's so much fun when a cheesy classic can throw up a huge array of new sounds just by taking the most minute of snippets from one song and creating something entirely new.

For example, I had this laying around on a compilation CD. (on a side note, I did find this other great rhodes-flavoured rendition while YouTubing. Nice to see the bird with the bowl haircut can sing a note these days!)

And turned it in to this (see attachment). A nice loop I have coupled with a crazy little amen break I reprogrammed to assault your lobes! :D

So, any other keen producers out there?

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I've never been much for sampling, but I was a (mostly) live/studio engineer for 20 years so any questions you feel I might be able to answer, feel free to PM me.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job