Samples in portfolio

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by J1mmyc, Mar 16, 2011.

1. J1mmyc

J1mmyc Bit Poster

hi ive got an interview tomorrow for my first I.T role building computers but need some samples in my portfolio of my recent work now ive been building computers for myself and friends for the past 9 years so how do i convert that to my portfolio

Certifications: A+,MCDST
  2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I've never heard of needing such a thing for a role like that and it doesn't really make sense. A portfolio in various forms makes sense for an artist, writer/journalist, musician, programmer, web developer but not for a tech that is going to be building or repairing computers.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

As mentioned portfolios are common in creative fields and fields with a lot of freelance work.

Just like IT support, it unusual for programmers/developers to have portfolios, 99% of their work is normally owned by their employer, they generally sign an NDA when taking a role.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Probably his use of the word *portfolio* isn't a good choice of words, in this case. He is clearly asking you to outline what you have done over the past 9 years, so that he can read through it and determine your level of skills.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)