Samba-4 Primary Domain Controller

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by zimbo, May 15, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

For those of you interested in this kins of thing take a look at the new feature in Samba-4. The possibility of it replacing a Windows PDC!

Click Here for the link to Linux-magazine.com's preview on it.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That was a good read Zimbo albeit a tad over my head :blink

However, I would just like to state for the record that there is no such thing as a PDC, well not since NT4 days. All domain controllers are equal in an Active Directory domain. The buzz word is multi-master. Hence no PDC (primary domain controller).

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

what you mean bluerinse? :blink from 290 PDC was always mentioned and i got the impression it was the main DC in the domain where most authentication took place?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

zimbo,

There are two modes that a Windows 2000 Domain Controller can run in: 1) Mixed Mode 2) Native Mode. Mixed Mode, as it's name suggests, is when you have Windows 2000 domains mixed with Windows NT 4.0 domains. In order for Windows 2000 domains to interact with Windows NT 4.0 domains, there is a FSMO role known as the "PDC Emulator." The Windows 2000 Domain Controller basically tricks the Windows NT 4.0 domain to think that the Windows 2000 Domain Controller is acting as the Primary Domain Controller. In a Windows 2000 Native mode, all Domain Controllers run Active Directory version 1. Windows Server 2003 uses Active Directory version 2.

So in conclusion, depending on the mode, you're both right. :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I will have to stick with my statement that there are no PDC's in Active Directory. There are no BDC's either. Every domain controller holds a writable copy of the AD database, in what is known as a multi master model. In NT4 the PDC held the only writable copy of the domain and the BDC held a read only backup copy. Things are very different with Active Directory.

The PDC Emulator is a role given to a Domain Controller, it is one of the 5 FSMO roles and is there for backwards compatibility with legacy operating systems and it performs some other functions such as time keeping, and tracking password changes in the domain. It is not a PDC, it is a Windows 2000 or Server 2003 domain controller, which has been given the role of PDC Emulator (tick a checkbox). There are 5 FSMO roles, including the Global Catalogue server, Infrastructure Master, Schema Master, RID Master but still you would not refer to any of them as *the* PDC. :dry

6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

meh... as for the pdc and pdc emulator, yes, you are mostly correct. yet, you talk about multi master and fsmo roles, but you do know that fsmo stands for flexible single master operation, right? roles that, in most cases, are handled by only one server in the domain/forest. (oh, and a global catalog is not a fsmo role). :oops:

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My point (if i have one) d, is that there is no PDC (Primary Domain Controller). There is not one server which is called the PDC. I think that is an indisputable fact :biggrin

Did i say global catalog, was an FSMO? Sorry that was a slip of the tounge my bad :oops: But it is another role for a DC albeit not a flexible single one :p