Sales or Tech Support

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Albert, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Albert

Albert Bit Poster

I'm currently in one of those phases where I'm thinking deeply over whether I should continue building a career on the path of IT or change, :rolleyes:

I'm currently working in an outsourced call centre for an ISP. Being outsourced, we can only work on what the client wants to give us. My employer has sales and only Tier 1 technical support departments for digital TV, broadband and telephony subscription services. Just the other day I was asked whether I would be interested in transfering over to the sales department. This got me thinking about my future.

In my heart I still feel I want to try progressing in the field of IT, finish reading through the Meyer's A+ book for the cert and not give up. I know what I'm saying next means trying to run before I can walk but security is where I'm hoping to get into in future, especially forensics. What I'm concerned about is that it may be beyond my ability or I'll end up too old if I do manage to get there. I'll be 25 in June, :eek:

On the other hand thinking of going into sales, it could provide a wider base of career prospects or opportunites. I might also be able to utilise what I learned from my final year degree research project in competitive intelligence or progress towards marketing, maybe even business analysis. Probably not in my current workplace but elsewhere.

My degree title is Business Information Technology (classification 2.2) with results for business modules comparatively lower. I did a 2 year FdSc in ICT before that, coming out with a distinction. Decided to forego Applied Computing for a business oriented BSc top-up. To this day I still fear there being less and less technical support roles in future, impacted by cloud or managed services.

I live in Newcastle to give you a sense of my job location.

Thanks a lot for your time reading this and sharing any thoughts.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I can only tell you to follow what you're passionate about... IT is difficult, it will always be difficult to get into IT and to progress as there's so much competition in any part of the world. If you're truly passionate about IT, you will make it. You're does not mean you're too old or too late to progress, it's all in your head dude, don't listen to those that tell you it's too late or to complicated... just follow your heart and you'll end up in a good place.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I remember being 25, was the year I started turning my life around, took a while but got there to where i am today.

I too had an offer of sales, which i gave a go, lasted 2 days, its just not in some people, im sure you will decide whether its for you.

Give it a go, but keep applying for IT roles, at least youll get a wage, maybe some commision, while doing some self study and a cert or two, then you may even land an i.t role while doing this

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. Dashik

Dashik Bit Poster

Lol, Nearly 25? Somebody shoot him he's far to old.......

Seriously you've got nothing to complain about lol. Im 47 and I've just decided to get back into IT after being made redundant as Senior Field Service Engineer (Hardware) and spending the last 6 years as an Advanced Driving Instructor.

I've considered what companies and industy types are in my area and as a result of living in Fife and being able to commute to Edinburgh or Dundee I reckon that getting a decent position as a MCITP Server Admin or Enterprise Admin is perfectly achievable inside of 5 years. So in the meantime I need to start from scratch and get recertified to quantify previous experiance, so Its a case of get 70-680 to do Windows support and rollouts on probably fixed short contracts for a current reference and then work it from there.

What Id like to do is get into Virtualisation at some point but that's a little while off :D

So my point is that I actually believe that with the right drive and enthusiasim you can do what you want. You just have to want it bad enough, and I do :D

WIP: CCNA/CCNP MCITP: SA & EA
  5. Albert

Albert Bit Poster

Thanks very much for the advice. Very much appreciated and laughed at Dashik's first part of his reply.

What do you also think about taking another 2 yr FdSc in Computer Forensics at my local college, part-time to boost up my technical credentials that I thought of last night?