Salary

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, May 22, 2015.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hey peeps,

Just been for an interview and as I thought I wasn't fully qualified for the position. I am currently a 3rd line desktop engineer for a large organisation and only deal with clients rather than servers. This role required server experience, as with most other IT jobs in my area. The interview went well and it sounds like they will probably offer me a position as a 1st line agent, where I can work my way up. The issue is that I will take a hit of nearly a 5 grand pay cut. The experience I will gain is invaluable though, getting to work with many different clients (rather than the 1 big client at my current work), technologies and obviously servers.

At my current work I am not really happy and need a change. If it wasn't for the money they are offering I would snap up the opportunity.

I am wondering whether to stay in my role and try and get some server certs under my belt and keep applying for other roles (the downside of this is obviously no practical/work experience, only visualization at home). OR to take this 1st line role and gain the experience I need.

What are your thoughts?

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

from what it sounds - this new place is a good number.

Can you afford to take the 5k cut? that's the ultimate question at the end of the day, work out your budgets and outgoings, and if necessary any cut backs that it'd mean. I'd favor experience over pay if starting out, and you can see working your way up and getting involved in different enterprise technologies and systems. You aren't happy either where you are, so i'd side with the new job, in my opinion.

Also - you never know, you could negotiate on the pay and explain to them, you might get lucky.

Either way, good luck :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

We've had a guy join us recently who was in a pretty similar situation, I can tell you he is far happier now because of better opportunities on the technical side than he was in his previous role. But he could afford to lose the money at the time.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Like everyone has mentioned, if you can afford to take the cut then take the role, if you can't then you have to explain that to them, explain that whilst the role is ideal the drop in salary is too much to take on financially.

To give you an idea, I have taken considerable rate cuts in the past, in my case I was contracting and I am talking over £150 per day lost, there were mitigating circumstances in why I took the role (it took me out of the country, away from a very painful breakup), it took me over 5 years to get back to where I was both in terms of salary and role (it was a step backwards in role, from server to desktop but I really needed to get away from the toxic relationship). I wouldn't have changed that time for anything tho as it made me a better engineer \ consultant.

If you can afford to take the drop in salary then you stand a good chance of reaping that back in potential earning capability in a short period of time and I would personally take the risk.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

So I got a voicemail left this morning from the firm, I didn't phone them back until an hour later after stressing about what I'm going to say and that I need to think about the offer as the money was the only issue... Turns out they have offered me slightly more than my current salary! Over the moon!

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well done that man :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Well done Sir. Excellent news :)

8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Result

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  9. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congrats mate and thanks for sharing, it's nice to hear this

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Nice one, great news.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  11. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Thanks for the comments peeps, now to hand in my notice tomorrow!

SimonV likes this.
  12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Good luck on that, its never easy.

13. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Yeah, I just handed my notice in at my place a week ago. Hate having to do it.

Like you though I have a bigger and better position to go to, so makes it easier! :D

Well done and good luck at the new job.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  14. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

congrats :)

and well done :)

15. gauru

gauru Gauru

well done

WIP: A+
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good stuff mate :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs