Salary

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NenMaster, Aug 29, 2007.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

My first role in IT was on 12k and after 3 and a half years i left on 13.5K.... (public sector).

I then progressed to a second line support role in a small private company on 17.5K then moved back to the public sector to my current role on 22k.

I start my new job in 2 weeks with a large IT Services company on 34k so i was incredibly lucky to geta 54% pay rise! :D (The salary range was up to 37k and they didnt ask what my current salary was! So i asked for 35k (what the hell!!) and they came back with 34k!)

What i would say is that when you are in the lower roles on 12k or 13k its harder to move up the scale. If you know your colleagues are on 17k for example ask for 16k with a review 6 months down the line. After all you need to prove yourself and this shows that you are willing to do that.

As you move up from first line, to second, to third for example always try and develop your skills whenever possible. You'll be in a much better position to argue pay rises if you can say "since the last review i have achieved A, B and C and passed this exam".... sounds much better than "i want a pay rise because... ummm... i want one..."

Think of some examples of pro-active work you have done or new technologies you have mastered, put your case forward!

Good luck! :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I don't know if there is such a thing as the average cost of living. If there is, I don't know what it is anyway. :)

House prices in the UL have gotten really silly in the last few years, they are very high now compared to what they used to be. My house is currently worth about £200K (British Sterling) so I guess that's about $400k in US dollars. That's for a 3 bedroomed detached house in a nice area. I know you mentioned your house was small, but the impression I get from US TV is that small for you, would be massive over here. :) We do have relatively low interests rates here still, so the cost of borrowing is not too bad (well not for mortgages anyway ).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

heh i said smallest in my area. it sure seems small for me and my family at times though, its 1600 sq feet.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  4. postal postie

postal postie Nibble Poster

i think most big companys have a wage structure.
    currently i'm on 18k + 2k london weighting a year in a junior role.

on our company website there is a wage strucutre detailed telling you how much you can expect to earn as you get more experienced.

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well I'm no expert but heres what I've noticed from job sites etc...

Salaries in the UK are generally £12k-100k

Salaries in the US are generally $12k-100k

So the general conversion of one for one seems valid.

I think $80k in the US is not uncommon and some taxes are lower but you need healthcare.

Earning above £65k in the UK is pretty hard. So there does seem to be some non linear relationship as pay increases on average salary, however if you take the min-max one to one seems to hold.

UK salaries look better than US ones if you use the official exchange rate but I don't think this is a true representation unless you are relocating and can somehow use the exchange rate.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Try again... :rolleyes: I can count on one hand the number of people who I personally know that have a salary that high.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Thats indeed true
    I've been looking into roles over there and most are in the 80 - 120k mark, which would technically be a substantial pay drop based on official exchange rate numbers, that said, the cost of living would be substantially cheaper, for the price of my 2 bed flat I could get a 4 bed detached with a pool!

and health insurance? pah for what I pay in NI contributions (like, 200+ quid a month) I could get some pretty good coverage,

I spose its just another one of those reasons that 200'000 brits leave each year :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I'm starting to feel a little monetarily underappreciated for outer (just) London, 1st/2nd line of support... (I get help on 1st line, but the 2nd line is my own... and I rarely pass to 3rd) with over 300 computers and dumb terms and almost 600 users... all for the wonderful prize of..... 17k a year

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard