Salary question

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by reverb, Mar 14, 2009.

1. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I don't how I should answer this question.

Salary is negotiable. It's a small company for IT support.
    I have no commerical experience. I do have a IT degree, no certs and based in London.
    Travelling will cost quite a bit. What would be a sensible amount?

They also had an ad for an admin position offering 14-15k I believe so should I expect around 17k> ?

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'd go in there and ask what they paid the last person and see what that figure was. Sadly, I regularly see first line support roles advertised as paying far, far less than a receptionist earns at the same company, so don't necessarily expect it to be more than the admin job they advertised recently.

If they genuinely won't tell you how much they're willing to pay before you make an offer, then they're probably just fishing and don't have the slightest idea what they should pay you (probably never had an in-house, dedicated IT support bod). If this is the case, start at around 16k and see where that gets you. Good luck.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, what zebmaster said.

Best of luck mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs