Salary Issue

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by slyuen, Jun 4, 2008.

1. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

Guys, what would you do if you discovered someone new (no certs, less than a year experience) to the company, with limited experience, and crap IT skills (asks questions like how to VNC, what's the difference between SATA and SCSI, knows NOTHING about Active Directory etc.) earns a lot more than you (MANY years experience, MS certified, A+, N+, 3 years in this company, etc.)?

It's a matter of respect and devalue which I can not take.

Well, it was an "accidental" discovery, however knowing that I have been ripped off for many years in this company (company that I've worked my 100% best everyday) I have chosen to leave and I'm moving on to a fair company next month :-)

I do pretend nothing is wrong with them, when asked, but they'll learn very soon "what is wrong" with them.

What a joke..... Rant over.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would tell them that I feel undervalued and that I feel I have been let down by somewhere I gave my best to everyday.

Sometimes you need to make yourself heard. There is a saying where I come from "You pay peanuts you get a f****** monkey" Become the monkey and they will listen :p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

If I tell them they'll know I hacked into their systems :-)

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

thats different then, I would say to them that you feel undervalued then but leave it at that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

In that case I'd keep quiet about it unless your job involves authorised penetration of company systems. Otherwise you might not just end up walking out of there in a huff because you found out someone is paid more than you... you might be led out of there in handcuffs.

Seriously - it is NEVER a good idea to hack into systems without the proper authorisation - arguably even less of a good idea to do it to your current employer :eek:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

and posted it on to a LIVE FORUM!

7. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

This can get messy, depending on just "how" you found out. This could become an HR nightmare. If you decide to disclose this information when you leave, you may actually be hurting yourself. If you happen to know anyone else in the HR field you may want to talk to them before telling your current future ex-employer that you know that person's salary.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd quietly look for another job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

When it comes to these issues, I always use the current market place as a good indicator of what you should be paid.
    If you have already found another job then i wouldnt worry too much, im sure you will be having an exit interview, it may be a good time to bring up that point that it was partly money, but i would leave others out of it, he'll probably be found out soon enough so wont have a wage at all.

As for the hacking, well tbh your statement of always giving 100% to the company contradicts this.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Look for another job and company as soon as possible. To be honest most employers these days do not give a monkeys if your hard working or not. Sad reality but very true:(.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Is very true Onoski - they should bring out a new vocational certificate - "Arselicking 101". Seems the only way to get on these days :twisted:

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  12. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm going to ignore the hacking comment, but for a good point-of-view - are you happy with what you're being paid? If you are, great, continue. If not, speak to the manager/s or leave for a better job. My attitude is that it is irrelevant what the bloke/woman next to me is earning, I'm the one that agreed to the salary when I started, and if it was a problem I either shouldn't have joined the company or looked for a new job.

Something I've noticed from my current employer, depending on what the market is like (ie, how many applicants they get) the pay can vary. A (now) friend of mine 3yrs experience £x per year, me 6 months 1st line £x +2k - simply down to the fact they had 3 positions to fill and no-one took the bait for a few months, upped the pay and I just happened to notice the job, went to the top limit £x + £4.5k no-one else applied. 12 months later, 1 position ended up at £x +1k again.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  13. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

Well I've changed job... funny thing is, I asked the previous manager what type of people are they looking for to replace me, guess what she said, a graduate with no more than 6-12 months experience. I was more than a graduate when I joined with like 3 years previous experience and stuff. I guess that implies they're going to lower down their requirements due to budget.....hahaha

Who knows, there might be some sort of discrimation going on too.

14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats as this is what matters, you've secured another role:), what's the job market like and did you go through an IT recruitment agency?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  15. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

I did, applied through various websites, had phone calls from at least 20+ agencies throughout 2 months, updating my details and had 2 interviews in total, last one asked stupid questions like if I could remember of the top of my head which exams no.s I did exactly, etc... this one asked sensible questions they you'd actually prepare for, and it got me in.

The market seems to be very competitive, particularly in London, and yes they do want you to start asap or no more than a month. My view is that the more senior the role you're applying in, the longer notice they will be willing to wait, as long as you have something they needed badly.

PS - IT Training companies' skill shortage comment is fake, this is outrageous. There is no really a skill shortage, in fact there seems to be a massive load of qualified/certified people fighting for IT jobs - I hope that won't devalue/bring our salary down :-(

good luck to anyone who's still looking.

16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback, very insightful and helpful. Yep! no such thing as skills shortage in IT especially here in the UK:)

17. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Yep. its true, I don't think there is much of a skills shortage. IT can be hard to get into, even with some certs under your belt. Its all about getting some experience, bit of a catch 22 sometimes.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  18. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Well done on making the move! There is nothing like voting with your feet!

That's not good and could get you arrested by the Police if your company found out and decided to report the matter! Do you really want your DNA on a national database? And more importantly, getting shafted for things like that can seriously compromise applications for CRB, CTC, SC or DV clearence.

Next time think - and in future don't sell yourself short!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  19. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Unfortunately there is a rather large skills shortage in IT
    but its nothing that IT training schools are going to be able to fix, the skills shortage is higher up, not at the bottom of the ladder

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As Ryan stated, there *is* a skills shortage... but there is no shortage of people who claim to be "techs" out there who don't really know what they're doing.

That's why getting your first IT job is the hardest part. After you're in, and you're getting experience, it's far, far easier to distinguish yourself and get noticed for the second and subsequent IT jobs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!