Salary Increase P@ss Take

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by michael78, Apr 11, 2008.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I do understand your predigament slypie especially being a family man with lots of responsibilities. However, just keep learning and getting as much valuable experience allowing you to command more wages in your next role.

To be honest I'd rather be employed earning less dosh than being unemployed. Best wishes and your deserved break would come one day if you don't give up and have the right attitude:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I would chat to the boss, but you may not get any more money at the moment as you have not been there that long. If you like the job, dont hand in your notice just yet, hang in there for a few months, keep the money coming in to support your family. Setup an email alert at cwjobs and keep an eye on any new positions. You can always change jobs in a few months, but you will be starting again in a new company. After 12 months in your current job they may bump you up to a better wage.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

It gets better. Just been on the phone to my manager who didn't know I'd been given sod all and doesn't have anything to do with my salary review. I've been told I'm different to the rest in IT in that my salary is paid by the office I work in whilst the rest of IT are paid by IT. My salary is being reviewed by non-IT people so I'm on a hiding to nothing. I don't even think there is any point in doing anymore certs as they won't have a clue what the hell they are and probably won't care. He was suprised I'd been given nothing and stop short at saying everyone else in IT has gotten a rise (even people who joined after me). This blows goats :x

I've put my CV online last Friday and have had two possible contracts which I might go for. I'm going to see what my manager comes back to me with but I'm not holding my breath.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. michael78

Christ mate that's taking the p@ss I feel bad about complaining about my salary now. For dealing with VMWare and doing 3rd line you should be on a much better salary.

Also your right about it not just being about the money it's also about my pride and worth. I just think they are going to try it on every year now that I know IT don't set my wages.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Any possibility of being transferred into the IT department proper?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

A job is a business deal, never forget that, to have the upper hand in any deal you have to be prepared to walk away if necessary...

I'd brush off your CV send it to a few agents, then walk into the office of whoever *IS* signing the paychecks and explain the situation and what you expect to happen, if they don't deliver then they can't say you didn't tell them...

Thats one benefit of IT and certs, if you have a value in the market you can always take your services elsewhere...

7. michael78

Wish I could but I'm linked to IT as in my manager is the IT manager but my wages are paid by the Newcastle Office and I'm part of that office. Everyone else is part of IT and paid by IT so I'm screwed. I didn't know my wage wasn't set by IT until today. It looks more and more likely I'm going to leave as I hate it when non IT people set wages as they don't understand the nature of IT nor the value of it's staff which usually = getting screwed

8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

That's pretty bad. Not having the salary coming out of IT isn't a big thing, but if the person handling your salary isn't talking to you or your manager (the one you get your direction from) then that's a mess. Either get it resolved or start looking. Just don't leave to nothing, that's not normally recommended.

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try not to lose your way with your certs mate, might be someting to focus on if things at work are not going well.

Sounds like your time is up at your current job but there are plenty more opportunities out there. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. michael78

I'm gutted as I like my job I look after the northeast office and get on with people well and don't have anyone on my back. The flipside is that if non IT people do my salary then getting my MCSA might as well be a certificate in baking cakes as they won't care. I'm going to be fighting a loosing battle every year to get a fair pay rise. I'm going to see what my manager comes back with but am not holding my breath. I've already wrote my resignation letter out. I'll let you all know the outcome.

11. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Id just like to say dont focus on the MCSA as a means to be better paid, use it to prove your status in interviews and your own self worth.

You are in a dilemma, but i would stick it out until your manager comes up with a solution, the worst thing on someones CV is moving after only a few months in a job, im contracting almost permanently now because most employers dont seem to think i can stay somewhere that long, even though i put contract on my CV and explain at the interviews (and i explain the benefit it has had to me in the past and why i want permanent now lol)

Thats how IT is going, its more business focused now, gone are the days when geeks ruled the Lan, and increasingly people with no knowledge if IT are calling the shots.

I agree with someone who posted on this site saying IT wages are comparitively low for the knowledge we posess.

To rub it in i saw an advert for a swimming instructor for 12 pounds an hour. (which is the similar to my current rate)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Yes, but swimming instructors dont work 7.5 hours a day, five days a week usually, so although they are getting paid 12 pound an hour, that is compensating for the reduced hours of work.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Slypie, I don't usually get this abbrasive with you as I think your a top fella
    but I have to side with Fergal, i mean wtf man? you have been there six months

From reading it seems your issue is not with the role, not with the work you do, but with the fact someone not in IT is justifying your salary
    your manager without a doubt should have a say in these things to start with, otherwise he is just someone you report to and nothing more
    Speak to him in more depth about it, you might not be able to work directly in IT but he can certainly have sterner words with people as to why he was not involved in your salary discussion

My salary increases have been handled by non IT people for quite a while, but if my direct manager does not have a say in it then I generally do, someone who is aware of your contributions needs to have a say or it's moot

Don't pack a job your somewhat enjoying in for that one reason, as Fergal says you knew the salary, and knew you would not likely get a raise after six months, it seems the issue is just the logistics of the decision, in which case you need to write a formal complaint about the process, remember at the moment you have the upper hand, you are liked and can walk out, once you give in that notice your nothing, your on your way out as far as they are concerned

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  14. michael78

I do see your point but the fact that all the rest have been given an increase even a few people who joined after me is frustrating. It's the principle of it more than the money. I wouldn't of said owt if others hadn't been given a rise who joined after me but that to me is like saying I'm a second class citizen. This isn't something I would normally do but I can't stand to think that I'm being treated differently. I didn't know my salary wasn't set by IT until last Friday so was shocked and I think this is a bad omen for the future as they don't get to see the work I do.

It also said in the letter that after consulting with your manager we had decided to leave your salary unchanged. According to my manager he didn't know anything about it.

15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I agree totally with you mate, that's my point
    play by their rules, if your manager had no input then the letter is lying to you, follow procedure and complain, it sounds like your manager would back you? and in fact was for a salary increase?
    Having similar responsibilities to others who received a rise makes it easy to justify
    your right it is an insult, but its not an insult from your manager, and perhaps not even the company as a whole, just someone who did your review, that's what needs to be addressed, remember you currently have the upper hand, use it before taking the extreme measure

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  16. michael78

well I'm just going to see what happens. I've been rang this morning with a possible job interview do I'll just see where that goes. If not I'll just have to grit my teeth and get on with it. I just think that they were out of order the way they went about it.

Anyways cheers everyone for the feedback again CF comes up trumps...:biggrin

17. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I totally understand this situation, even though I'm not in it yet. I'm soon to be moving into my first flat, and I'll likely be scraping pennies together. You don't even want to know what my wage is. Rest assured, it's bloody miserable. No raise for me until October. And even then, I doubt it'll be that substantial.

Good thing I love my job, otherwise I'd be out...

I suppose you could protest. How easy are you to replace? How flexible are the guys who pay your wages?

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  18. michael78

I'm the only one in the Newcastle Office and if I left it would really p@ss them off as they paid thousands to get me through an agency. I would suspect it would go down like a lead balloon. I am going to bide my time and finish off my MCSE and take it from there.

I do get a good wage (still under paid for what I do) but now is the time where money is very important to me as I want to move house in the next few years to get my son into the good schools and to give my family the best that I can. We are also loosing 5k now that my wife has dropped a day as well.

19. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

If it cost the company a ton through an agency, maybe you can use that as leverage against them:
    "You paid £x,000 to hire me, how about investing in me to make that money a worthwhile expenditure."

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Do you actually know anyone in the other office? Who did you have your interviews with? Why didn't they set the salary? Why are you not part of the IT department if you were hired to do IT?

These would be some of the questions that I'd be asking the head office.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685