Salary for second I.T job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Jun 22, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

What salary should I get / look for in for my second I.T job? Obviously this depends on the job role but whats a good 'step up' in wage?
    My first and current I.T job is paying 16k as an it technician full-time - I do ... 1/2nd line support, basic network admin (not much server 2003 work), maintaining av equipment... Its also a public sector job! I got about 9 months exp under my belt.

Any opinions?

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Depends what kinda job you are going for mate.

£16k isn’t too bad for your first IT job btw.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

And you may find that, if you want to get on, you may have to bite the bullet and move on a a similar salary (or a little less) just so you can get into a role that means you earn more experience and, over time, more money...

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I can only speak for myself.

I have been in my current job for just under one month. I will be looking towards increasing my salary by a min of £2K in five months and £5K in twelve months.

Combining both experience and certs. As the company I work for only gives pay awards if you pass the certs they set you.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Oops forgot to mention that when you compare jobs you need to compare apples with apples.

With a Public Sector job you are most likely in a Final Salary Scheme, and if you are on £16K a year that is approximatley worth around £200 per month of your pre tax contributions to get the same equivalent.

Combine this with the fact that you will also recieve 4 x Death In Service Benefits and probably a sweet sick pay and holiday scheme.

Therefore, with these added into 'your package' you would need to find a Private Sector job paying £20K plus without these benefits to even start comparing.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Damn! That means I need to be dead to get the benefits though... :blink :D

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Too many factors to consider - type of job, type of experience you're getting, the area in which you live, and many others.

What should you get / look for? As much or more than you did before. Simple as that!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!