Salary for 1st line support?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shocksl, Jun 1, 2012.

1. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

What kind of salary do you guys generally find acceptable or decent for a 1st line support role? ( especially if its your first I.T job).

for those who are in the 1st line support role, what are you current salaries if you dont mind me asking.

Thanks for any insight.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's going to depend on where abouts you live, cost of living down south is more than up north and salaries do tend to reflect that.

It's like asking for a piece of string.

What you really need to do is have a think about how much you can afford to live on, work that out to what that 'should' equate to in salary terms and then have a look at how much is generally on offer and as long as you're happy with what's on offer then it really shouldn't matter what other peoples opinions on salary are because you're happy with what you're getting.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    shocksl likes this.
  3. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

i totally agree with you. It doesn't bother me what others get. i just want an idea of what is to be expected for putting all the hardwork in with certs.

Whats the average from the location your from?

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

GBP or Ugandan Dollars?

It's not an exact science but check this out.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Mate I haven't earned an average salary in over 10 years, I couldn't honestly tell you what kind of salary a 1st line bod should get as I haven't done 1st line in probably 12 years.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with SimonD, where you live (and work), the cost of living in that area, the sector, the individual company, etc... Can and will affect how much that role will be paid. Not only that but there can be other benefits, eg higher amount of Annual leave entitlement, free/reduced private healthcare, free/reduced gym membership, company car, etc....

But getting back to just the salary... You can be looking anywhere from £8k (if you get an apprenticeship/training post in IT), to an "average" of anywhere from £12k to £17k (however you can get entry level/1st line IT jobs below and above that range).

It's been about a decade since I first got into IT, so my salary wouldn't really help :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    Modey and Sparky like this.
  7. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I think in the first few years of your career, you shouldn't focus too much on salary.

I've very quickly been fast tracked from a 1st Line Support role to working as a sys admin in an Infrastructure team, but my salary is still less than what you might get in a 2nd Line position. I'm totally relaxed about it though, because when I move to another employer, it's far more impressive to say "I worked on X platform, with X technology" than it is to say "I worked 1st Line, but I earned £25k!".

8. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Interesting thread.....When i was trying to get into IT and applying for lots of 1st line support jobs in terms of an entry level job i was finding they all ranged from 15-18K. I was looking at the possibility of breaking into IT but after travel expenses just about breaking even on what i earnt at my retail job.

Luckily the job i picked up which i start on Wednesday paid more than the average ive stated above, so im extremely chuffed.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  9. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Just echoing all the comments as it will vary from company to company, even within the same areas.

My first IT role back in 2003 paid about 16k which was largely first line stuff to begin with, and at the time in that company it wasn't a purely 1st line role you did 2nd line and project stuff as well (but obviously not from the word go).

I know that the company now with a slightly different structure employ people purely for first line, they do nothing else, and they pay 21k for that, and I'm in an area down south where I'd say it's pretty hard finding something well paid (I left there years ago but still have a lot of friends and some family there so know all the details :) ).

10. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

My first IT job was 13k.

For your average first line support job I would expect anywhere from 12 - 18k. Its not an exact science though.

Where I live decent IT jobs for career progression are hard to find. If your in a large city though it shoudlnt be to hard.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  11. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

I'd say its whatever you can wangle, theres so many variables its unreal. If you've got good connections then i suppose you could always pull in a salary higher than the competative rate. We've all heard of people in "cushy" jobs on a lot of money because they know the MD quite well etc.

Another way to look at it is businesses will always try to (generally speaking) pay you enough so that you wont leave, but not too much so that they are over paying you. its about finding a happy medium where both parties are happy. This of course changes (or should) as new roles and responsibilities are taken on / new accreditations etc.

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  12. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The skills needed for first line in one company may differ from another company hence why salary can be different.

In the long run do you want to be earning £20k doing password resets or would you want to be doing more interesting work for say £17k? Its great that you have landed a job that pays a good salary but you always need to be looking gaining decent experience to get to the next level.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Naj

Naj Bit Poster

4 years ago, I started on £13k just to get a foot in the door having no prior experience or qualifications in IT. The experience gained was worth more long term then rejecting the job over the salary. I now do 2nd line desktop support earning over twice as much. 1st line guys in my company now earn £14-18k.

My advice is get in a 1st line role, whatever the pay, and show eagerness to learn new systems. After 12 months, you should have a good idea of the different career paths you can pursue.

Certifications: NA
    Sparky likes this.
  14. ITdave

ITdave New Member

I start my junior technician role next month and took a lower salary than i could get elsewhere just because of the benefits, training and progression they offer. I agree with above, 1st role for me isnt about how much your gonna earn, its about how much your gonna learn

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 70-685
  15. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

imo it's always about how much you can learn until you land that 6 figure salary doing eff all ;).

My first IT job was 12k rising to 15k, 2nd was 20k rising to 25k learnt alot during those but not as much at my current (3rd) job which I took a drop and started on 20k.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  16. algorithm&blues

algorithm&blues Nibble Poster

Our first liners come in on £15k. We do historically have a very quick moving first line though. When we brought the Helpdesk back to client site in 2006, within 12 months all but one of the original staff were working in 2nd line roles or similar, of those 10 or so, 2 are in 3rd line Wintel roles, about half are in Desktop Support 2nd line roles and one has become a Service Delivery Manager..

..so the opportunities are out there

17. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Agree, however you have to be able to live off the salary. I took a pay cut when I got my first job, luckily it was under £1k. If it was anymore than that, I seriously think that I would not have been able to live off it.

Same here...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security