Salaries

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Theprof, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey,

I found this article kind of interesting, though people with those salaries must be in the industry for a long time

http://images.globalknowledge.com/wwwimages/pdfs/2007_SalaryReport.pdf

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Interesting - I like the bar charts very colourful:biggrin :p

I'm not sure about those figures, I wouldn't be suprised if a pig farmer wasn't on $30K per year!:p I guess the US/Canada pays better than the UK. Because it's no where near that here!:(

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'm not too sure about that UCM - accounting for the exchange rate, they've got my salary pretty close according to my speciality.

Admittedly I do live and work in London, and the cost of living is higher in the UK than the US, but it's not quite as skewed as I thought it would be

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

They hit mine on the head too
    there figure is actually a little lower than mine if we consider direct exchange rate comparison
    BUT like Zeb, I live and work in London and imagine theres a hefty premium on my salary to account for that

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Salaries differ greatly depending on where you are in the UK not sure about the US.

Take my current job I am an image processing technician, I basically produce the plates that have have high res images on them for newspapers.

I do this job in cumbria an am on just over 17k a year but that is on a 2 shift system.

If I was living in London I would be getting atleast 25k a year on a 1 shift system.

I know fo a fact if I was working for news international in the galsogow plant I would be on atleast 35k but thats a 2 shift system

But I hate my job and thats why I am studying towards the A+ and hopefully will be able toi get a job out of it, but I cant afford to drop too much so it look like I will have to move to further a field.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

Mines £480 P.A below the mark but we are a relatively new company (5 yrs old in August)and we have built the business from the ground up. I am overdue a payrise but that is on hold while we relocate. I do get good 'perks' though none of the benefits I would get from a corporate. I thought I was underpaid so it's good to get an idea of what everyone else is earning.

Certifications: A+ C Programming
    WIP: Network+
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

From my limited understanding the job markets do not function in the same manner on both sides of the pond. Its not uncommon for people to get 6 figure salaries in London, add to this the current exchange rate and you've got a salary virtually unobtainable in the US, probably even in a Tier one investment bank in New York. Many routine jobs in london now also command 30k+ salaries which is effectively $60k.

That said the standard of living is probably slightly better in the US, the cost of living will certainly be cheaper, income tax is generally alot less, houses are also about half the cost, only downside seems to be minimal holiday and getting medical cover.

A good graduate can start on close to £30k these days, many jobs eg transport police make about the same, look at the papers quoting some GP's getting £250k a year... inflation is alive and well despite what Gordon Brown tells you !