Safari Online Books

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by JohnBradbury, Nov 12, 2007.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Whilst reading through some of the past threads I came across a post which mentioned Safari Online Ebooks. I took a look and it seems pretty interesting. However the site wasn't exactly clear on what it is you can do with these books.

I'm assuming you can't download them so as to protect the authors work from copyright violations. However I was wondering if you can print them? One of my biggest pet hates is reading ebooks on screen. After spending all day on the computer, coming home and checking my mails, working on VM's towards my certs I really can't face another two hours looking at the screen.

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I do belief that yep they're protected by the authors and copy right.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Some membership levels allow you to permanently download a number of chapters per month based on "tokens" collected each month... but I can't remember if you can print them... I had a Safari membership for a few months... didn't use it enough to justify the expense.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

What you can do with Safari accounts depends on the account. In the Library account you can download up to 5 chapters at a time to read offline, and read any of the books online at any time you wish. No, you can't print stuff off, but that's not the purpose of the service as I see it. For me it's being able to put my hands on information, instruction, etc... on a wide variety of subjects at any time I wish.

I still buy books, but this way I have access to full books that I don't own, and simply couldn't afford to purchase. It also lets me see if books are worth buying.

I read, study, and take notes which I then place on my internal website on my lan. I also use it to research subjects that I need to know quite a bit about in a short period of time for work. So, I get to learn a lot, take notes directly from books I'll never own, and build a large knowledge base about a lot of subjects.

You can try an account for a couple of weeks for free. Give it a shot, I think you'll like it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys. I signed up for the 30-Day Trial, it looks pretty good!

6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I think you'll really like it. Tell us what you think after 30 days.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1