sa account

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by PAT, Apr 3, 2008.

1. PAT

PAT Banned

Is it possible to stop the sa account on sql server 2000 from accessing a database.

Odd question I know, but the design of the server is not the best:rolleyes:

thanks 8)

2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

AFAIK the sa is just a user as any other. You could remove his permissions.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

sa can be disabled from the security section. right-click on the account, select properties, and tick the login disabled option (i use 2005, so not exactly sure how it looks).

That will stop its access entirely, but if you want to stop its access to a specific database. Not really. the sa account is the full admin account on the server, its in the sysadmin role, and so has access to everything. you could remove it from that, but then what if you really need the sa accounts level of access?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

in essence, isnt this like saying, i dont want the domain admins to be able to log onto a server?

If you are using the sa account in a manner where you want to restrict its access in some way, i would suggest you are using it incorrectly

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present