s-video help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Theprof, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey guys,

Just out of curiosity I have an S-video connector on my laptop and I was wondering whats the purpose for it. I tought its so that you can hook up like a tv and use that as a screen, but then again I am not sure. I tried hooking it up to a tv but nothing happened

Thanks.:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Theprof,

Did you change your TV's "signal input" from whatever to S-video?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I wager not :wink:

A tad more info re S-Video Prof

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey guys, yes I have changed the input on my TV.

I did read the link that you provided me with Bluerinse and I appreciate it, from what I understood is pretty much what I tought which is simply a video connector that provides brightness and color as an analog signal, but I still dont get why didnt want to work when I hooked up my tv with the S-video connector to my laptop, honestly just curious to know.

Thanks guys.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Check the documentation for the lappy Prof, there maybe a function key or combination of keys you need to press to output the video via the S-Video output rather than the screen. This is the case with my HP lappy!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Bluerinse has it spot on. I had the same issue a few years ago. Thought I was doing everything right but still not showing on the TV screen. Then figured out that not only do you need to have the TV set to S-Video input (probably via your AV button) but you need to tell your laptop to put signal through the S-Video port. Most laptops will have an 'FN' key (Function Key) which is like using a shift key. While holding down the 'FN' it gives different functions to some of your normal used keys (usually the 'F' keys - but not always). My laptop uses the FN key plus the F5 key to toggle the display. Hold down the FN key and press the key that looks like it has 2 small screens on it (see picture below). This is the same key as if you were adding a CRT monitor to your laptop.

Just to note as well, using the S-Video only cable will only give you video (I know sounds straight forward!), if you want to have sound coming from the TV as well the best way I have used is by buying a scart adapter that takes the S-Video and sound jack leads from your earphone socket on the laptop.

Good luck!

Adapter looks like this

Attached Files:

• FN.JPG
      FN.JPG
      File size:
      14.2 KB
      Views:
    Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Might he possibly need a break-out box? I know you do for most desktops. Does the video in/out port look like s-video but with a few more pins.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

All I use when connecting my laptop to the TV is an S-Video to Scart adaptor, 4 pin S-Video cable (male/male) and a sound 3.5mm jack cable.....all works great...never sent S-Video from my desktop though! :D

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That I did not know about switching the laptop from the laptop screen to the tv screen using the FN keys, thanks guys. I will try today and let you know how it went.

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The use of Fn+F5 to switch video output seems to be a very popular combination to get an alternate output. However many also use Fn+F6 to get TV output.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey guys, anyways I finally got it thanks to you guys, for my laptop its actualy fn+f4 and it worked like a charm, now just have to get the sound cable and I am set. Thanks again guys, I appreciate it.

12. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

No worries Prof. That's why we all sign on to CF!! :thumbleft