S+ certified :)

Discussion in 'Security+' started by greenbrucelee, Nov 6, 2009.

1. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Nice one, congrats!

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Gratz! :) I still need to get around to doing this...

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats GBL. :thumbleft

I'm looking at doing this one now.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Thanks, a good book to get is the sybex book.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Congatulations on the pass! now have yourself a well deserved beer :D!!!

(Edit: maybe youve already had that beer as I can see it was almost a week ago now since you passed, wouldn't hurt having another one :D just don't get carried away)

On a side note, have you passed these exams such as S+ and N+ with alot of work experience under your belt or minimal exp??
    Just asking so I have a pointer for when I should be taking mine :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
    WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks mate. I actually have the deluxe edition of it but it's good to have a recommendation too.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Absolutely disagree. It's one of the sloppiest books I've encountered in a while, filled with horrible technical errors and inaccuracies. We bought it for our Security+ content development team, and they simply couldn't use it as a reference. Avoid at all costs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. BosonMichael

Quick side note... these aren't called the S+ and N+... they're Security+ and Network+. The terms S+ and N+ are not authorized for use with these certifications.

You might think I'm just quibbling, but there's a logical reason, at least for one: S+ could mean Security+ or Server+. So let's not get into the bad habit of calling these exams something they're not...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

...YES SIR:salut! :biggrin I like the way your telling me not to call them these things, I am looking forward to my time at CF :p while progressing through my certs, but more to the point of Bruces experience while passing these certs I await your response gbl :thumbleft

10. BosonMichael

Not my rules, bro... just telling you CompTIA's standpoint. They say what designations they can be called by those who are certified, not me.

If you disagree with me, by all means, keep calling it S+ (and keep confusing those who don't know if you're talking about Security+ or Server+).

And if this is your attitude towards someone trying to provide advice and guidance to you, then good luck with your time on CF! :rolleyes:

11. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Ok I gave the wrong impression by that I admit, I fully appreciate the detail to which advice and help is given at, I find it flawless and that is why I'm looking forward to my time on here :)
    Don't take it the wrong way mate I don't want to come across like I'm trying to mock you.

Advice Gladly taken and noted! and :soz but :offtopic I would just refer to my question stated in my previous post as to what kind of direct work experience you had and how much you had while passing your Network+ and Security+ GBL??

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A bit of experience and a bit of knowledge and a bit of study.

Didn't seem to do me any harm, was the one you got for the current exam?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. BosonMichael

It's easy to take things the wrong way - for both of us! All is well, mate - no worries. :)

I had quite a bit of real-world network and firewall experience before taking Network+ and Security+. I'd recommend Network+ even without experience, as its fairly entry-level. Security+ I might wait until you've started tinkering around with security on your servers and/or network devices.

14. BosonMichael

Yep. Though it might not have seemed to do you any harm, I can assure you that I saw several errors in the book that could cause you to have a lack of understanding (or complete misunderstanding) at some point down the line.

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

GBL - Well done mate! What's next?

Mike - What would you recommend?

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. BosonMichael

If the Syngress is out, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it; I used the first edition to study for Security+ many years ago, and it was great. If it's not published yet, I'd probably recommend the Security+ All-In-One - our authoring team didn't seem to have many problems with it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009