Runtime error 5: Invalid procedure call or argument.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arroryn, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hello :) I have a problem... again... and I need help... again...

I have a batch of PCs that have recently had a ghost installed. They are all showing the Runtime error 5: Invalid procedure call or argument, whenever I open Microsoft Word attachments from emails. This is only with Word attachments; it doesn't matter if they are .doc or .rtf

So far, I have tried replacing all templates in the OFFICE11\STARTUP folder with known working templates. There are no old/odd templates in use on any of the machines. Word started on its own opens and operates fine.

I was going to try Word in safe mode, but that doesn't really help when the issue is opening from attachments... I think...

Once you 'end' the runtime error, it still opens the attachement you were after anyway.

I have tried the Microsoft Knowledgebase and Google, but can't come up with anything useful.

So... over to you guys...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The Runtime error 5 is a generic error. Sorry I don't know of a quick fix. Have you tried installing the latest service pack?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Arroryn

They are all running Office SP2; we would have to do testing before rolling out SP3. The only thing is, we have this PC type across the company; it is only in one isolated office that the issue occurs.

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Are the attachments from the one person?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Arroryn

No, they can either be users within the domain, or outside the domain.

This issue is affecting at least half a dozen users.

Oddly enough, I think the issue follows attachments after they've also been saved locally. If this is the case, I can't understand why the Runtime Error also wouldn't occur for any documents created locally...

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it anything to do with the AV scanning email attachments?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Arroryn

We don't AV scan emails at client level. We have a facility in our DMZ (I think) that checks the emails before they come in.