running Windows Server 2012 R2 safely?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys looking for abit of advice

Right I've just setup Server 2012 R2 in a VM lab environment, managed to assign a static IP and get the connection to the internet going. Now I'm wondering do I need any form of antivirus program similar to how you would a regular Windows OS install? I am assuming I do but I'm wondering does this work the same? is there still a need as I'm using a VM? I just want to ensure I'm not putting my system/network at risk whilst I play around with the server as I am trying to learn basic admin tasks.

Cheers

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

It depends on what you are doing with your VM's, I've got about 20 odd windows vm's running in my home lab with internet at present and they dont have any AV on them. However on mine I dont do general internet browsing or anything. I'm all the years I've had a home lab environment I've never bothered with AV as it will affect the performance from the VM and can cause unusual issues with products if you dont follow their exclusions recommendations.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hey Juelz. I have always had AV on my labs for a few reasons, but mainly because any corporate environment will have it. I like to get trials of master consoles and have things report into things like ePO and Trend as part of my lab work. I never keep anything I can't quickly blow away so it's not really about losing anything as I can wipe it and start again. I've also had a play with trial products and free products just to see what they look like. So I can say yes I've seen that. I'm aware of what's involved installing. I like messing with the agents too, kicking manual updates and scans off via command line stuff like that. Lastly I like to run test scenarios, I say like, I have done is a better way to put it where I'll use the eicar virus to test and see what the logs say etc. It's all good fun.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs