Running services from a limited (restricted) account

Discussion in 'Software' started by ChrisH, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

Hi

I've recently started playing with web design and php and need to be able to start and stop the Apache and MySql services.
    I have my computer set up with 1 Admin account for installing or changing hardware and software then each user including myself uses a limited account for everyday stuff. I can control the services from the admin account but not from the limited account as access is denied.
    Is there a way to allow my account to start/stop services without upgrading the account? if not will making my account a power user account defeat the object of using limited accounts for users?
    I use a limited account for myself as I believe it may help stop virus's and spyware being installed by accident (correct me if I'm wrong on this).
    OS is XP Home.

Thanks

WIP: A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

As far as I know (and I'm not an expert on this) it is fairly easy to circumvent limited user mode, so you shouldn't rely on it to stop nasties. IMHO there are other better methods.

You can also (I believe) get hold of utils that will allow you to construct small script files that will allow you to do admin stuff from a limited user account. The one that comes to mind is from Sysinternals.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

RunAs doesn't work with everything thought Fortch, and unfortunately, services.msc is one of them (on my PC anyway).

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I came across RunAs when I found I couldn't get PSService from Sysinternals to work correctly and was looking for advice ('Access Denied' even though all details were correct)

RunAs does work if I create a .bat file containing the commands to start the required services then use

'runas /user: admin startserver.bat'

and a similar file to stop the server. Not sure if it can be used to directly start and stop services though.

WIP: A+