Running Adaware/Malware Bytes Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I have been running an Malware bytes anti malware and Adaware on a Pentium 4 2.0Ghx XP Pro computer it has been running for 2 hours and in the first 30 minutes it found 253 infrections.
    Is it worth running these programs? Sometimes I think its best to do the same thing that a computer shop I use to work for does and that is reformat and reinstall Windows, but the problem is that this computer has some programs that need to stay on the hard drive.
    Does anyone have some advice. Also would putting the hard drive into a faster computer speed up the process?

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Your the IT Tech - its down to you to decide!

Is it worth your time to constantly try and fight with these little worms that have infiltrated your Pentium 4 2.0 GHz XP Pro computer or would it be better for you to back up vital information, source your application discs, format, reinstall? and know you have a clean system.

Btw: Have you met our Friend Kobem? - may be worthwhile the N+ together (your profile is correct isnt it?)

3. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Malwarebytes Antimalware is a staple over at bleepingcomputer.com. I read the forums there religiously to keep abreast of the latest threats and fixes for them. I find it helps me learn about problems that I'm going to see in my shop in advance.

In any case, Malwarebytes is one of the tools I keep handy. I also use UnHackMe and Combofix religiously.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

At least it’s finding something ,hopefully it will remove the spyware for you. Remember to patch the OS and install decent AV after you have fixed this problem.

Hence why a rebuild isn’t the always the best option.

Err, probably not worth the hassle just now.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs