running 4 screens on one graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael78, Mar 13, 2008.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Guys can you run 4 monitors off a dual headed graphics card like a GT8600. Say if I used a cable splitter on each DVI input could I run 2 monitors off each point. Hope I explained that well :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Short answer would be nope.

You can run 4 monitors but would see identical screens on each pair, as they recieve the same signal, using a splitter cable. The GPU card can output different siganls to each DVI ouput it has so you can run 2 screens with different resolutions, one on each output, but not 4.

At lest thats what i think is the case.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. michael78

actually that would be fine what we basically need to do is run a single monitor on one of the DVI ports and run another TFT monitor and a projector that display the same screen on the other DVI port. Can anyone else confirm that this can be done. Never had a need to setup more than a two screen setup before.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I know it can be done with VGA, we used have 8 displays dotted around the building running off of a VGA splitter box connected to the pc.

I wouldn't like say if this is possible with DVI, but I don't see why not. You could try looking for DVI splitter box and see what's about.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. michael78

Cheers Stoney, I suggested a VGA splitter and they said they wanted a new PC with a dual head on it to do the job. It's to the point where I'm getting sick as this job is taking a lot longer to sort out than it should of.

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You will still need a splitter with DVI. I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe that you cannot use a simple Y-splitter with DVI.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

You can use a Y-splitter, but the results are variable:

http://www.provantage.com/cables-unlimited-pcm-2260~7CBUN007.htm

I would recommend purchasing a splitter box, which ensures each device will receive a proper signal.

Yes, you can run four monitors off a dual-headed card using Y-splitters, but it is not how I'd go about setting it up. I'd use a single DVI output and purchase a 4-way splitter box.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  8. michael78

Cheers for the feedback guys. I've told them to get a splitter so hopefully they will listen but I'm not holding my breath

9. neutralhills

A local optometrist that I support recently installed new equipment that lets patients see 3D laser maps of the inside of their eyes. They put a Y-splitter on the PC in each exam room and they found that the old Dell LCD monitors worked, whereas the new NEC ones they purchased didn't. The signal was too weak after being split. Everything worked fine after I put in splitter boxes for them.

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd be interested to know whether these were DVI-A or DVI-D "Y cables". I'd suspect that DVI-A would work, after all it is VGA in another form. But DVI-D?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. neutralhills

DVI-D. Sorry, should have included that. The cables were from Cables2Go (blech) -- that didn't help.

12. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

2 gfx cards = 4 DVI connectors + 4 splitters = 8 outputs :)

just a heads up this wont work if you have them in SLI

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640