rundll32.exe, curious?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jellyman_4eva, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

If you have a printer connected to a PC and share that printer to others, if you then go to another PC and install the printer, it treats it like a network share and only installs it for the user you are currently logged in as...

I needed to install one such printer and then I wanted the printer to be installed and available for whoever logged in...

With this in mind I recently found a rather nifty trick to install the shared printer globally on the machine by doing this from the command line..

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /c\\%COMPUTERNAME% /n\\Name of target PC\Printer Share Name

The /ga switch installs the printer globally to the system and is not available on the GUI...

This all got me wondering... how does Windows actually use rundll32.exe in the GUI... or does it not (Sorry if thats a very vague question)

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Thanks for that. As for the reason behind it i am sure one of the MCSE 's might have a go on answering it...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

On a command line type

tasklist /m fi "IMAGENAME eq rundll32.exe">c:\rundll.txt

This will make a .txt file on the c:\ listing all the processes that are using Rundll32.exe.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

The site Bluerinse linked to is good.

from liutilities.com
    Description:
    rundll32.exe is a process which executes DLL's and places their libraries into the memory, so they can be used more efficiently by applications.This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: rundll32.exe is also a process which is registered as the W32.Miroot.Worm. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately. Please see additional details regarding this process

As a system admin looking after some 60 servers, scripting in Windows is very useful, you will be supprised how many actions can be performed by loading dll libraries.

If you want to run a task from the command line, try typing what you want to do in google followed by 'from the command line'

eg

locking workstation from command line

lets you know to use

rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Give that man some Rep points !! :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity