runas

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, May 12, 2009.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Does anyone have any suggestions for a runas software? Currently the company is using this one here, but I have no idea about it or any others either as I've never needed to use one.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

No one else uses such a utility program?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

is this for allowing users to install certain software? or what?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I would imagine that it might be for rolling out certain software. CPAU might be an option.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I thought it might be. We use Marimba here. All the users get is a list (based off their AD Groups) of software they have available. They click a button to install, another to repair, and a third to uninstall. Everything else is handled with the system.

If you set it up right, the user gets no prompts for settings, etc. Or at least they dont here.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

As far as I understand it Fergal, it's mainly used to run the vpn client (don't know why though). Another possible use is so that the users can install needed software when they are overseas (and no admin around).

7. Triton.Deep

Triton.Deep Bit Poster

I use a little program called AlterEgo. Incredebily handy for those of us that run normally under a normal account. Saves you from having to continually type in your password but still protects your admin account while giving you even easier access to things requiring higher level access.

Pretty slick little tool, unfortuantly...looks like the official page for the program is history. Guess I'll have to try to find a replacment eventually :(

J.

Certifications: MCITP EMA, MCTS, MCSE (x3), CCNA, A+,etc
    WIP: MCM for Exchange probably. Not Sure