Rugby world cup final and F1 Brazilian Grand Prix

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Not Britain, then? Just England?

For some reason, I dont want Hamilton to win. Havent from day one. No real idea why, perhaps its because its his opening season. Wouldn't feel the same way for the other british drivers - especially Button, he really deserves to get a good car under him.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

The fact that it is his first season in F1 a victory will be even sweeter. For anyone to come in and do what he has done its one hell of an achievment.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Bugger, gutted again!!!!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

With all due respect, im English first, British second. I rarely see any Scots cheering on England, in fact quite the opposite with most sports.

How you can say your "British" and not want Hamilton to win, proves my point entirely.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Fergal1982

Nothing of the sort. I just find it funny that with scottish (or welsh, or irish) players in any sport its often (especially in the media) scottish when they lose, british when they win, and the other way around with English players.

And sorry, when did it become mandatory to support someone just because they are my nationality? Under that thinking, I should automatically support AFC just because I live here? Utter bullsh*t, I'll support who I want to support, based on my own conclusions about style, mentality, etc, and what I think is important.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

We obviously think in very different ways.

So, you didn't support Scotland in the Rugby World Cup? Did you support Argentina because of their style, mentality etc? Same goes for the football. If you did support Scotland, why? What reasons were behind supporting them?

Also, nationality is very different from where in that nation you are from. So your comparison with AFC, is completely out of context.

I support the team that I was brought up around, being Tottenham, North London. I support the English teams, and even the Scottish, Irish and Welsh teams when they're in competitions. In your way of thinking, with football, I'd support Brazil or someone similar who have the flair and attractive style of football they play. What would be the point in that?! Supporting a nation who are half way round the world?

You can support whoever you want to support, I never suggested you couldn't. I simply find it hard to understand how you could want a Spanish or Brazilian driver to beat someone who is representing England, Britian or whatever you want to call it.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  7. Fergal1982

First off, I dont support anyone in either rugby or football. I have no love of football at all, and barely any interest in rugby (although Id rather watch it than football, even if i dont understand what is going on half the time).

Secondly, the example of geographic location is just as ludicrous as declaring that anyone who declares themselves to be x nationality should support x team. There is no distinction between them.

As for not wanting Hamilton to win the GP, I dont see the sport as a representation of country. The amount of money spent on the car under them has just as much to do with their win as the person sitting behind the wheel.

Now, if it were the A1, which I believe was supposed to work on rules that all cars were identical, and it was more about the drivers skill, I may be more inclined to support someone from my home country, just as I do when watching (if I choose to do so) the olympics.

For the record, I have a preference towards Button in the F1 championships. Mainly because I like the way he approaches the sport, and hes a very smooth, consistent driver. If he were to get a good car under him, he would be phenomenal in my personal opinions. When its clear that Button isnt going to win (as seems to be the case normally unfortunately), I back whichever driver appeals to me the most. The past couple of years its been Alonso to tell the truth.

Edit: You might also like to note that I didnt say I wouldnt support my national team just because they are my national team. Just dont go around making the assumption that its mandatory. I'll do it if i choose to, if i feel more 'invested' in another team/player/driver/whatever, then ill support them if i choose to.

8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

The distinction between them is simply that they are representing your nation. How you cannot see that baffles me, but everyone to their own, as I said earlier, we're obviously very different people.

I am extremely patriotic and would support near on any sportsman who is representing England, or Britian, along with the other home nations.

You also seem to contradict yourself with the following two statements;

So if its "ludicrous" to suggest that you should support your nation against another nation, why do you continue by saying that in the A1, you may be more inclined to support someone from your country. Simple question, Why?

9. Fergal1982

I said its ludicrous to say i should support a team based on geographical or national status, I didnt say I couldnt. Its my choice to support my national team, etc, its not mandatory and to suggest otherwise in something so trivial as sport is exactly that - ludicrous.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Great race all in, thought Kimi was a worthy winner. Lots of pressure on him after taking over from Schumacher.

Mclaren have to sort themselves out. LH could have won the season at the last round if they hadn’t kept him out so long on tyres that were obviously shot. Also at the final round I’m not so sure putting him on the softer tyres gained LH as much time as they said it did.

Hope there is more of the same next season with Massa getting involved with title race with the BMWs as well. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

You might want to note that I never said it was mandatory, and to say "Dont go around making the assumption" I find laughable as I did nothing of the sort. I just stated that I feel you should support your nation, that not that had too. As I said in a previous post;

Also, just because you think sport is trivial, you need to realise that not everyone feels that way about it. To some people, sport is a way of life, a passion. Im sure you have passion for something in life, and I wouldn't dare call whatever that passion is, "trivial".

12. Fergal1982

Ok, bottom line? We arent going to see eye to eye on this. So lets drop it, for the sake of peace on the forums.

Back on topic, I do have to say I enjoyed the latter half of this F1 season more than previous years. It was a bit more exciting, and I like seeing a bit more competition taking part. Too often the championship is just between the top 2-3 teams, and the lower teams tend to only feature when they are getting in the way of the top teams as they sail past. This year it seemed a bit more involved. Was quite enjoyable.

I'll be interested to see where Alonso goes after this. Reckon Massa and Raikkonen are set to stay put, doubt there will be any move there, same for Hamilton. Hopefully Button will get a good car under him next year, but so far they havent delivered. Shame really, since he went through all that hassle to stay with the team.

13. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Ok Fergal, Agreed to disagree! I meant no disrespect to your opinions, was just expressing mine. I hope you can understand and respect that.

On the F1, I can't wait to see where Alonso goes. I would love to see a Button/Hamilton pairing at McLaren, or at least a better car for Button as he is a very talented driver as you've said. Its shaping up for a brilliant season next year, im just hoping BMW/Renault can close the gap on McLaren and Ferari to make for an even more competative competition then 2007's.

14. Fergal1982

absolutley, its just deviating from the point of the thread a little.

Now Button in McLaren would be awesome!!!!