RRAS

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Luddym, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Bare with me if I get this wrong, but I can't seem to get this right in my mind.....

In RRAS, I'm not sure of the difference between a Demand Dial Router (connection) and server to server VPN.

I know both can be used to connect remote offices, but can't a VPN also be used to be connected on demand?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'll have a go at this from a non-Microsoft point of view - so you need to be wary of applying it in the M$ world.

Basicaly these two things operate at a different layer in the protocol stack, and have very different functions.

A Demand Dial Router (typicaly used to be an ISDN unit) will dial a remote number and start a connection when a packet arrives at that router that it recognizes belongs at the far end.

It isn't interested in the particular type of connection required, it could be TCP/IP or Appletalk or IPX.

A VPN is a method of hiding a network connection over any transport system. That transport can be a dial-up, or it might be high-speed fibre.

That is my understanding of these terms!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

Yes, both can be used to start a link on demand (or persistent).
    The main diff is that in the first scenario you link two network
    over phone lines, and in the second you do through internet.
    Instead to specify a phone number you set a pubblic ip address to call.
    Other differences are related to the security etc, etc

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680