RPC Service Terminated Unexpectantly

Discussion in 'Software' started by tripwire45, Sep 1, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok, I'm a little miffed. When I bought my laptop six months ago, it came with six months free internet access through Earthlink. Since I love anything free, I set up an account. Well, time's up and I discontinued the account. I located the internet connection wizard on the XP Pro laptop and ran it. I had to go back in and tweak a few things since my ISP uses a proxy server (it's an ISP that filters "objectionable content"...I have three teens at home, y'know). I made the changes and tried to connect. The first persistant problem is that it doesn't bring up the default webpage...google in this case. When I select any other page, it comes up and when I go back to google, it comes up...but just not when the browser opens and the initial connection is made. Ok, I can live with that, but I'd like to fix it.

Now for the big problem. Each time after I connect and start browsing the web for a few minutes, a dialog box comes up saying that the system is shutting down because the RPC service terminated unexpectantly....initiated by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM. It gives a countdown, then restarts the system.

This happens every single time. I've set up internet accounts on various computers before but never had this type of error message. What is it and how do I fix it??? :mad

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Could this be blaster at work? http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Oops, sorry for stepping on your toes there, Si :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Its called MSBlaster, it was very popular here at one time!!!! (with appologies to John Clease)

You need the patch from Windows update. First thing to do is the head over to the services tab in adminstrative tools of control panel find the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service, right-click it and select properties. Click the Recovery tab and change the 3 failure actions at the top to "take no action". The get to Windows update and follow the instructions towards the bottom of that page marked steps to protect yourself from the blaster worm.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I never even considered that I'd get "blasted". I'm still having problems. I activated my firewall on the XP laptop and loaded Norton Anti-Virus 2003. I was doing a live update on virus definitions when I lost the connection. I've tried re-establishing it a number of times but get an error each time saying I can't connect to symantec. My internet connection on that machine has become pretty dicey in general. It won't even let go of the connection and I have to disconnect the phone cord from the modem jack.

I'm doing the only other thing I can think of now which is to scan for viruses. I don't know if whatever I downloaded from symantec before I lost the connection will be workable, but what the heck. It's really punching a hole in my work schedule for today. I suppose I can chalk it up to another experience in troubleshooting, but I'm not really liking it very much. Reminds me of what one of my former instructors once said: "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want". True wisdom in that one.

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok, I downloaded the tool to clean up my laptop but when I tried to download the patch, the connection repeately stalled...one time with only 16 seconds to go. I suspect that enabling the XP Pro firewall has something to do with it. I went in again to try and do a live update on my virus definitions and the same thing happened. The connection looks good at first, then slows down increasingly until it finally stalls. Grrr. :snipersm:

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok, here's the deal. I downloaded the patch for XP to my Windows 98 machine which still has a good internet connection, shared it over my LAN and copied it to the XP machine. I installed it and decided to test it out. I did all four things MS recommended, activate the firewall, download the patch, install antivirus software, and use a free tool to get rid of blaster.

I hop on the internet, go to google, search "firewall" for the heck of it, start browsing sites. Everything seems dandy. I open up Norton and start the live update for virus definitions only. Except for a few bad moments, the update downloads successfully. I figure I've got it licked.

Then I try to browse to this forum. It doesn't want to open but I figure, maybe maintanence is going on and try a different site. The thing stalls, loses the connection, tries to reestablish. I can't figure it out. My old "bucket-of-bolts" Micron running PIII/Windows 98 gets about as good an internet connection as you could expect from a 56K modem. My XP laptop which, by all objective measure, should run rings around the Micron, just struggles along. They both use the same ISP and I've gone over the settings a dozen times. I keep going back in my mind to the onboard firewall. I can't ping anymore but I figure the firewall blocks the returning ICMP packets. Could it be impeding internet browsing in general? I never had it on before when I was using EarthLink so I have no basis for comparison. I'll probably get desperate and turn the firewall off but I'd like another set of opinions before that.

9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Trip, I would loose the XP firewall and use a third party peice of software, ZoneAlarm Home is the one (I use Pro version) that i use and never had any problems with it.

Click the link to go to the download site, it's free too.

HTH

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  10. AndyL

AndyL Nibble Poster

Definitely.

Certifications: MCSE 2000,2K3,MCSA:M 2000, MCSA 2K3
    WIP: Painting the doorframes.
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Consider it lost. ZoneAlarm is on my downloads "list".

12. brent

brent Nibble Poster

I use Zonealarm, Top piece of software!