RPC Server

Discussion in 'Networks' started by jackd, Mar 2, 2008.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

On my Windows 2003 domain im getting The RPC Server is unavailable, ive only got one domain controller so things like RSOP arnt working anymore since im getting this error, theres also a error occuring with my printer addition vbs script that runs at user logon it says The RPC server is unavailable too. Ive attached some screenshots of one of the errors

Thanks
    Jack

Attached Files:

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the RPC service running? Also the server service should be running...

Edit: Anything in the event logs?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Jack I was looking around and I was able to find this link. There are some registry tricks also.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Right, both of those services are started Sparky and ive tried the registry fix on the link TheProf but it didnt help as it was already set like that.

In the event viewer there are lots of errors for netlogon saying stuff like
    and
    Ive also put a wireshark dump here because ive seen lots of errors in there dont know if there normal. (the server ip is 192.168.2.36 btw)

Thanks
    Jack Dunn

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

On the server can you browse the DNS snap-in?

Also on a PC if you type nslookup at the command line does it come back with the name of the server? Also within nslookup type your server name. Does it resolve ok? Also try www.google.co.uk and see if you get the corect IP.

Im guessing that DNS isnt running or the zone isnt allowing dynamic updates.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Yeah i can browse the dns snap-in and add and delete records

When i type nslookup at the command line the first thing it says is
    192.168.2.34 is the the backup dns but the service is turned off on that server...

And if i type my server name i get
    192.168.2.36 is its main network card and 192.168.2.200 is a interface for the VPN

7. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

!BUMP! Anyone?

8. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

Use DNSLint to check your DNS server.

It also sounds a bit like a multi-home server problem. (Dual NIC's issue)

- Check the advanced section of the Network Connections and ensure that the internal network card is first in the list.
    - Perhaps remove the 2nd NIC, and clean up DNS, AD, etc, to see if this resolves the problem
    - From memory I remember reading about dual-homed systems having problems and I think there was a reg hack to ensure the primary NIC was used first. Could be wrong as it's late and im tired :(
    - Check the workstation used to run NSLOOKUP to see if it's connected to your domain correctly. I had my laptop a bit ago "reconfigured" thanks to some spyware and it added a DNS suffix to my network connection. (Network Connection -> TCP/IP -> Advanced -> DNS -> Append these DNS suffixed) There was an entry there was stopped normal DNS lookups from working.

As a side note, from a security point of view, having your VPN connection terminate onto your DC is not a wise move.

Good luck.

Liq.

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP