RPC server is unavailable when using MS snapin

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Stewart Clegg, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Stewart Clegg

Stewart Clegg New Member

Hi I have a small problem and cannot figure out the solution can anybody help?
    I have Windows 2000 Pro and Windows 2003 Srv running on VMware 5.5 on a Windows XP Pro machine. The ethernet is bridged on both virtual machines. I have got network connections between the 2 virtual machines and the host XP machine. I can ping each machine OK, virtual to virtual, host to virtual no problem.
    Now in the host machine (XP) I make an MMC using Snapin Local Users and Groups [Local].
    If I select any of the two virtual machines to add the Snapin I get the message 'RPC server is unavailable'.
    However if I make an MMC using a virtual machine there is no problem the Snapin Local Users and Groups [Local] works, I can see the Users and Groups in the virtual machies but not in the XP host machine. So somthing is stopping be XP but what?
    I have run net start rpcss in the host machine but it did not make any differance.

Thanks

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, you've already used "net start rpcss" on the XP host. A couple of questions here...did you verify that the service is actually running on the desktop host? Also, since you seem to have connectivity between the host and the VMs, Microsoft suggests the following:
    Here's the complete reference: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q224370

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Stewart Clegg

Stewart Clegg New Member

Thanks for info you sent, I have never used Support tools before so I will have to study them.
    How do I verify that the service is running on the desktop host?

Thanks

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Control Panel ->
    Administrative Tools ->
    Services ->

Browse the services list to see if the service exists. Assuming it does, look under Status to see if it's started. You can click on the service to select it and in the left-hand pane, you will be able to start and stop the service. Hope that helps.

Certifications: A+ and Network+