Router Problems

Discussion in 'Networks' started by big-jme, May 6, 2009.

1. big-jme

big-jme Bit Poster

Hello people,

I wondered if anyone can help with a problem my father is having with his new wireless router? The router in question is a SMC7904WBRA-N ADSL2 Barricade™ N Pro and for some reason it's not connecting to the internet properly. His laptop and ipod touch recognise the router and say that it is working ok but he just cant seem to get it to send or recieve any data.
    If anyone can help or even point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks

BIG-JME

Certifications: CIW Associate
    WIP: CIW Site Designer
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Have you logged onto the web interface? Has it picked up the external settings (eg external IP, DNS, etc)?

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. big-jme

big-jme Bit Poster

Hi,

Apparently it's picked up all the numbers etc. (my Dad lives 400 miles away so I cant sit down and look at it myself) The ADSL light was flashing for a short time tonight but still no internet. I'm sure it's probably something easy like he hasn't ticked a certain box but like i say without being able to sit in front of it, it's tough to sort out.

BIG-JME

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

what numbers are these?

5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Does the ADSL port have any numbers? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. big-jme

big-jme Bit Poster

sorry, by numbers i meant external settings IP, DNS, etc

not sure if the ADSL port has a number, i believe the WAN MAC address has been checked also

7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you know the IP address of the router? If so try pinging it from the laptop.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

do you have a firewall enabled on your laptop? try disabling them

9. keconnect sparky

keconnect sparky Nibble Poster

The ADSL light should not be flashing (it will flash to begin with for upto 1 minute or so depending - this is whilst the router tries to sync/establish a link with the exchange) afterwards it should remain stable, next the router will negiociate the PPP session (connect to the internet) - only once it has been configured mind you

So the DSL light should be stable along with the internet light (or picture of a globe, depends on router)

To reach the router admin interface i believe the default IP range for this make is 192.168.2.1 - this needs to be enter within your web browser (i.e http://192.168.2.1) you should then recieve a logon prompt.

Download the manual for the router here:
    http://www.smc.com/files/AH/MN_SMC7904WBRA-N.pdf

Might help you whilst talking your dad thru the various steps :0)

Certifications: MCP, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-S
    WIP: CCNP (ROUTE)