Router problem or isp?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by twizzle, Mar 29, 2006.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

OK im resurrecting this one!

After more problems with the damn net connection (it drops out almost everyday!!) I have found this....

When it drops out, i canot browse websites in IE6 using thier FQDN. However i can view them using thier IP addresss in IE6. Things like Skype, MSN messenger and Azureus stay connected and working...most of the time, sometimes these eventuall drop connection but not always. Resetting the router fixes the problem.
    If i go to the command prompt and Ping by FQDN then it times out or fails to find the address, if i ping by IP, most of the time i get a pass result, only sometimes does this time out.

After phoning my ISP (f2s.com) they suggested disconnecting everything except the router from the phone line, replacing the broadband filter and connecting directly to my master BT box. I did this and it still dropped out. Thier reason for trying all this? The SNL was 44Db and thier limit was at 43Db.... I cant see why a difference of 1db would casue me to lose connection in this manner. Surley it would just make my connection slower or drop out all together so that i couldnt even access sites by IP?

So anyone have any more ideas?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Twiz,

Could be your router loosing the DNS configuration..... Next time it happens go in to the Router and see if the DNS address(es) are displayed.
    What unit are you using? Have you tried a firmware upgrade?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Did f2s supply you with an original modem (like an USB one)?

Or do you have a different router/modem? If so try that for a bit to see if it is any different. Some modems are known to be a bit 'deaf' or otherwise have problems.

EDIT: when they asked you to connect to the master socket, did thay ask you to remove the faceplate and connect that way, or just to the front of it? I ask as the former way disconnects the rest of your house wiring, and sometimes that can cause problems.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

OK to answer so questions :-

f2s supplied my router (3 years ago). Its a US Robotics sureconnect 9003 conneceted via ethernet not usb and has had a firmware update sometime last year (there doesent seem to be a newer update yet).

When i connected it to the master socket i didnt remove the faceplate, just plugged it straight in, the housephone was unplugged to do this.

And next time it goes down i will check the routers config (if i can access it to see if it shows its dns address). I know when i do a IPconfig / all in command prompt, when it goes down, it does not show a DNS server address.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

i had a similar problem with a customers DSL a while back. I had a USB modem on standby and asked them to swop over on the *drop*. We eventually worked out their router was stuffed...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You could try entering your ISPs DNS servers in your client's TCP/IP properties manually, rather than relying on DHCP to do the job. If the DNS entry is disapearing, it sounds to me like the routers DHCP function is on the blink.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)